Features and Benefits
- Supports single-band wireless applications
- 1 complex data input channel per RF DAC
- 516 MSPS maximum complex input data rate per input channel
- 1 independent NCO per input channel
- Proprietary, low spurious and distortion design
- 2-tone IMD = −83 dBc at 1.8 GHz, −7 dBFS/tone RF output
- SFDR < −80 dBc at 1.8 GHz, −7 dBFS RF output
- Flexible 8-lane, 15.4 Gbps JESD204B interface
- Supports single-band use cases
- Supports 12-bit high density mode for increased data throughput
- Multiple chip synchronization
- Supports JESD204B Subclass 1
- Selectable interpolation filter for a complete set of input data rates
- 2×, 3×, 4×, and 6× configurable data channel interpolation
- 6× and 8× configurable final interpolation
- Final 48-bit NCO that operates at the DAC rate to support frequency synthesis up to 3.1 GHz
- Transmit enable function allows extra power saving and downstream circuitry protection
- High performance, low noise PLL clock multiplier
- Supports 6.2 GSPS DAC update rate
- Observation ADC clock driver with selectable divide ratios
- Low power
- 1.45 W at 6 GSPS, single-channel mode
- 10 mm × 10 mm, 144-ball BGA_ED with metal enhanced thermal lid, 0.80 mm pitch
The AD9171 is a high performance, dual, 16-bit digital-to-analog converter (DAC) that supports DAC sample rates to 6.2 GSPS. The device features an 8-lane, 15.4 Gbps JESD204B data input port, a high performance, on-chip DAC clock multiplier, and digital signal processing capabilities targeted at single-band direct to radio frequency (RF) wireless applications.
The AD9171 features one complex data input channels per RF DAC. Each data input channel includes a configurable gain stage, an interpolation filter, and a channel numerically controlled oscillator (NCO) for flexible, frequency planning. The device supports up to a 516 MSPS complex data rate per input channel.
The AD9171 is available in a 144-ball BGA_ED package.
- Supports one complex data input channel per RF DAC at a maximum complex input data rate of 513 MSPS with 12-bitresolution and 516 MSPS with 16-bit resolution options. There is one independent NCO per input channel.
- Low power dual converter decreases the amount of power consumption needed in high bandwidth and multichannel applications.
- Wireless communications infrastructure
- Single-band base station radios
- Instrumentation, automatic test equipment (ATE)
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (2)
When connected to a specified Analog Devices high speed adc evaluation board, the ADS8-V1 works as a data acquistion board. Designed to support the highest speed JESD204B A/D Converters, the FPGA on the ADS8-V1 acts as the data receiver, while the ADC is the data transmitter.
The AD9171, AD9172, and AD9173 evaluation boards are FMC form-factor boards with FMC connectors that comply to the Vita 57.1 standard. The FMC boards use a Mini-Circuits balun on the DAC output.
To operate the evaluation board, the user must attach the board to a compatible FMC carrier board, such as those provided by FPGA vendors. Analog Devices produces an FPGA carrier called the ADS7-V2, which serves as a digital pattern generator or data source as well as the power supply for the boards. The AD917x board has an option to be powered from a lab power supply when used in a special NCO-only mode. This operation is described in more detail in the User's Guide, linked on the wiki site. The user must be able to observe the DAC output on a spectrum analyzer. A low noise clock source is provided on the evaluations boards, the HMC7044 clock synthesizer, and an option exists for the user to supply a low jitter external sine or square wave clock as a clock source instead. The evaluation board comes with software, called ACE, which allows the user to program the SPI port. Via the SPI port, the DUT (and clock circuitry) can be programmed into any of its various operating modes. It also comes with the DAC Software Suite which includes the DPGDownloader for vector generation, download, and transmission to the evaluation board when using the ADS7-V2.
Documentation & Resources
Tools & Simulations
The JESD204x Frame Mapping Table Generator tool consists of two Windows executables that will allow the user to input any valid combination of JESD204x parameters (L, M, F, S, NP) in order to output a .csv file that illustrates the frame mapping of the JESD204x mode in table format. There is an executable that allows the user to input a single JESD204x mode and another, that allows the user to input the parameters for multiple JESD204x modes in a specified .csv format in order to output a .csv file that illustrates the frame mapping of each of the JESD204x modes that were input into separate tables.
ADIsimPLL enables the rapid and reliable evaluation of new high performance PLL products from ADI. It is the most comprehensive PLL Synthesizer design and simulation tool available today. Simulations performed include all key non-linear effects that are significant in affecting PLL performance. ADIsimPLL removes at least one iteration from the design process, thereby speeding the design- to-market.
This tool gives users access to a live evaluation board in an Analog Devices lab, connected to a Keysight PXA spectrum analyzer and an ADS8-V1EBZ. The user is able to run tests on this remote lab bench to evaluate the AD9171/2/3 performance at any time, day or night. It is a great way to check performance of the product before and after purchase of an evaluation board, as well as to compare performance to a user-designed board.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.