Features and Benefits
- 16-bit ADC with 1 MSPS on all channels
- Input buffer with 1 MΩ minimum analog input impedance (RIN)
- Single 5 V analog supply and 1.71 V to 5.25 V VDRIVE
- Per channel selectable analog input ranges
- Bipolar single-ended: ±12.5 V, ±10 V, ±6.25 V, ±5 V, ±2.5 V
- Unipolar single-ended: 0 V to 12.5 V, 0 V to 10 V, 0 V to 5 V
- Bipolar differential: ±20 V, ±12.5 V, ±10 V, ±5 V
- Two bandwidth options: 25 kHz and 220 kHz, per channel
- −40°C to +125°C operating range
- ±21 V input clamp protection with 6 kV ESD
- Pin to pin compatible to the AD7606B and AD7606
- 92 dB typical SNR for ±20 V bipolar differential range
- 95 dB SNR, oversampling by 32
- −100 dB typical THD for all other ranges
- TUE = 0.05% of FSR maximum, external reference
- ±0.5 ppm/°C typical PFS and NFS error drift
- ±3 ppm/°C typical reference temperature coefficient
- Per channel system phase, offset, and gain calibration
- Analog input open circuit detection feature
- Self diagnostics and monitoring features
- CRC error checking on read and write data and registers
The AD7606C-16 is a 16-bit, simultaneous sampling, analog-to-digital data acquisition system (DAS) with eight channels. Each channel contains analog input clamp protection, a programmable gain amplifier (PGA), a low-pass filter (LPF), and a 16-bit successive approximation register (SAR) analog-to-digital converter (ADC). The AD7606C-16 also contains a flexible digital filter, a low drift, 2.5 V precision reference, a reference buffer to drive the ADC, and flexible parallel and serial interfaces. The AD7606C-16 operates from a single 5 V supply and accommodates the following input ranges when sampling at throughput rates of 1 MSPS for all channels:
- Bipolar single-ended: ±12.5 V, ±10 V, ±6.25 V, ±5 V, and±2.5 V
- Unipolar single-ended: 0 V to 12.5 V, 0 V to 10 V, and 0 V to 5 V
- Bipolar differential: ±20 V, ±12.5 V, ±10 V, and ±5 V
The input clamp protection tolerates voltages up to ±21 V. The single supply operation, on-chip filtering, and high input impedance eliminate the need for external driver op amps, which require bipolar supplies. For applications with lower throughput rates, the AD7606C-16 flexible digital filter can be used to improve noise performance. In hardware mode, the AD7606C-16 is fully compatible with the AD7606 and AD7606B. In software mode, the following advanced features are available:
- Analog input range selectable per channel with added ranges available
- High bandwidth mode (220 kHz) selectable per channel
- Additional oversampling options with an oversampling ratio up to 256
- System gain, system offset, and system phase calibration, per channel
- Analog input open circuit detector
- Diagnostic multiplexer
- Monitoring functions (serial peripheral interface (SPI) invalid read and write, cyclic redundancy check (CRC), busy stuck monitor, and reset detection)
Note that throughout this data sheet, multifunction pins, such as the RD/SCLK pin, are referred to either by the entire pin name or by a single function of the pin, for example, the SCLK pin, when only that function is relevant.
- Power line monitoring
- Protective relays
- Multiphase motor control
- Instrumentation and control systems
- Data acquisition systems
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-AD7606CFMCZ is a fully featured evaluation board that allows users to evaluate the features of the AD7606C-18 and AD7606C-16 analog-to-digital converters (ADCs). The EVAL-AD7606CFMCZ is controlled by the EVAL-SDP-CH1Z (SDP-H1) system demonstration platform (SDP). The SDP-H1 controls the EVAL-AD7606CFMCZ through the USB port of a PC using the Analysis | Control | Evaluation (ACE) software, which is available to download from the ACE software page or the AD7606C-18 or the AD7606C-16 product page.
The on-board components include the ADP7118 5 V and 3.3 V low noise, low dropout (LDO) linear regulators and an ADR4525 high precision, band gap voltage reference.
Figure 1 in the user guide shows the evaluation board photograph. The printed model number on the evaluation board is EVAL-AD7606CFMCZ.
For full details on the AD7606C-18 and the AD7606C-16, see the AD7606C-18 and AD7606C-16 data sheets, which must be consulted in conjunction with this user guide when using the EVAL-AD7606CFMCZ. In addition, full details on the SDP-H1 are available on the SDP-H1 product page.
Throughout this user guide, the EVAL-AD7606CFMCZ refers to either the EVAL-AD7606C18FMCZ or the EVAL-AD7606C16FMCZ.
Software & Systems Requirements
AD7606B/C ACE Remote Control Example Code
AD7606 Mbed IIO Application
Technical Articles (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.