New Content (1)
Features and Benefits
- 16-bit/14-bit ADC family
- Dual simultaneous sampling
- Fully differential analog inputs
- 4 MSPS throughput conversion rate
- SNR (typical)
- 92.5 dB, VREF = 3.3 V external at AD7380 (16-bit)
- 85.4 dB, VREF = 3.3 V external at AD7381 (14-bit)
- 101 dB with ×16 OSR
- On-chip oversampling function
- Resolution boost function
- INL (maximum)
- 2.0 LSBs at 16-bit
- 1.0 LSB at 14-bit
- 2.5 V internal reference
- High speed serial interface
- −40°C to +125°C operation
- 16-lead LFCSP, 3 mm × 3 mm
- Wide common-mode range
- Alert function
The AD7380/AD7381 are a 16-bit and 14-bit pin-compatible family of dual simultaneous sampling, high speed, low power, successive approximation register (SAR) analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) that operate from a 3.0 V to 3.6 V power supply and feature throughput rates up to 4 MSPS. The analog input type is differential, accepts a wide common-mode input voltage, and is sampled and converted on the falling edge of CS.
An integrated on-chip oversampling block improves dynamic range and reduces noise at lower bandwidths. A buffered internal 2.5 V reference is included. Alternatively, an external reference up to 3.3 V can be used.
The conversion process and data acquisition use standard control inputs allowing simple interfacing to microprocessors or digital signal processors (DSPs). The device is compatible with 1.8 V, 2.5 V, and 3.3 V interfaces using the separate logic supply.
The AD7380/AD7381 are available in a 16-lead lead frame chip scale package (LFCSP) with operation specified from −40°C to +125°C.
- Dual simultaneous sampling and conversion with two complete ADC functions.
- Pin-compatible product family.
- High 4 MSPS throughput rate.
- Space saving 3 mm × 3 mm LFCSP.
- An integrated oversampling block to increase dynamic range, reduce noise, and reduce SCLK speed requirements.
- Differential analog inputs with wide common-mode range.
- Small sampling capacitor reduces amplifier drive burden.
- Motor control position feedback
- Motor control current sense
- Power quality
- Data acquisition systems
- Erbium doped fiber amplifier (EDFA) applications
- I and Q demodulation
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-AD7380FMCZ and EVAL-AD7381FMCZ are full featured evaluation boards that evaluate all features of the AD7380 and AD7381 analog-to-digital converters (ADCs). The evaluation boards can be controlled by the EVAL-SDP-CH1Z via the 160-way system demonstration platform (SDP) connector, J4. The EVAL-SDP-CH1Z board controls the evaluation boards through the USB port of a PC using the Analysis, Control, Evaluation (ACE) software, which is available for download from the ACE software page.
Complete specifications for the AD7380 and AD7381 are provided in the AD7380/AD7381 data sheet. Consult these specifications in conjunction with the user guide when using the evaluation boards. Full details on the EVAL-SDP-CH1Z are available on the SDP-H1 product page. The comprehensive ACE user guide is available on the ACE software page.
The EVAL-AD7380FMCZ can be used to evaluate the AD4680 and AD4681. The AD4680 and AD4681 have slower throughput rates (at 1 MSPS and 500 kSPS, respectively) than the AD7380. The throughput can be adjusted to fit for AD4680 and AD4681 by adjusting the clock speed and the sampling frequency.
Figure 1 in the user guide shows the typical setup of the EVAL-AD7380FMCZ board. The setup for the EVAL-AD7381FMCZ board is the same as the EVAL-AD7380FMCZ setup.
Features & Benefits
- Full featured evaluation board multichannel, simultaneous sampling ADC
- On-board reference, reference buffer, and ADC driver
- On-board power supplies
- Board-compatible, high speed system demonstration platform (SDP-H1) controller
- PC software for control and data analysis
Software & Systems Requirements
Tools & Simulations
Precision ADC Driver Tool
The Precision ADC Driver Tool is a web application that simulates the performance of precision ADC and driver combinations. Potential issues with driver selection, kickback settling, and distortion are flagged, and design tradeoffs can be quickly evaluated. Simulations and calculations include system noise, distortion, and settling of the ADC input
AD7380 Companion Parts
Recommended Driver Amplifiers
- For Precision low power Application: ADA4807-2, ADA4805-2.
- For Precision, low density Application: ADA4940-2.
- For high frequency, low noise, low distortion Application: ADA4896-2.
Recommended Low Dropout Regulators
Technical Articles (2)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.