Features and Benefits
- 8 software-programmable output ranges: 0 V to +5 V, 0 V to +10 V, 0 V to +16 V, 0 V to +20 V, ±3 V, ±5 V, ±10 V, −2.5 V to +7.5 V; 5% overrange
- Total unadjusted error (TUE): 0.1% FSR maximum
- 16-bit resolution: ±2 LSB maximum INL
- Guaranteed monotonicity: ±1 LSB maximum
- Single channel, 12-bit DACs
- Settling time: 7.5 μs typical
- Integrated reference buffers
- Low noise: 35 nV/√Hz
- Low glitch: 1 nV-sec
- 1.8 V logic compatibility
- Asynchronous updating via LDAC
- Asynchronous RESET to zero scale/midscale
- DSP/microcontroller-compatible serial interface
- Robust 4 kV HBM ESD rating
- Available in 16-lead TSSOP and 16-lead LFCSP
- Operating temperature range: −40°C to +125°C
The AD5761/AD5721 are single channel, 16-/12-bit serial input, voltage output, digital-to-analog converters (DACs). They operate from single supply voltages from +4.75 V to +30 V or dual supply voltages from −16.5 V to 0 V VSS and +4.75 V to +16.5 V VDD. The integrated output amplifier and reference buffer provide a very easy to use, universal solution.
The devices offer guaranteed monotonicity, integral nonlinearity (INL) of ±2 LSB maximum, 35 nV/√Hz noise, and 7.5 μs settling time on selected ranges.
The AD5761/AD5721 use a serial interface that operates at clock rates of up to 50 MHz and are compatible with DSP and microcontroller interface standards. Double buffering allows the asynchronous updating of the DAC output. The input coding is user-selectable twos complement or straight binary. The asynchronous reset function resets all registers to their default state. The output range is user selectable, via the RA[2:0] bits in the control register.
The devices available in the 16-lead TSSOP and in the 16-lead LFCSP offer guaranteed specifications over the −40°C to +125°C industrial temperature range.
- Industrial automation
- Instrumentation, data acquisition
- Open-/closed-loop servo control, process control
- Programmable logic controllers
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-AD5761RSDZ is a full featured evaluation board that allows the user to easily evaluate all the features of the AD5761R 16-bit, voltage output digital-to-analog converter (DAC). This board also integrates a power solution using the ADP5070 switching regulator to generate a bipolar supply of +11 V and −21 V from a +3.3 V input, allowing any of the programmable DAC voltage output ranges available on the DAC. Alternatively, supplying the DAC with a linear power supply via the on-board connector (J4) achieves all ranges. The AD5761R pins are accessible at on-board connectors for external connection. The evaluation board can be controlled by two means: via the on-board connector (J5), or via the SDP connector (J1). The EVAL-SDP-CB1Z SDP board allows the evaluation board to be controlled through the USB port of a Windows® XP (SP2 or later) or Windows Vista (32-bit) based PC using the AD5761R evaluation software.
The AD5761R is a single channel, 16-bit serial input, voltage output DAC. The device is specified to operate from single supply voltages from 4.75 V up to 30 V, or dual supply voltages from −16.5 V to 0 V (VSS) and +4.75 V to +16.5 V (VDD). The nominal full-scale output range is software or hardware selectable. The integrated output amplifiers, reference buffers, and power-up/power-down control circuitry provide an easy to use, universal solution.
Features & Benefits
- Full featured evaluation board for the AD5761R
- Link options
- PC control in conjunction with the Analog Devices, Inc., EVAL-SDP-CB1Z system demonstration platform (SDP)
- PC software for control
Software & Systems Requirements
Tools & Simulations
Precision DAC Error Budget Tool
The Precision DAC Error Budget Tool is a web application that calculates the DC Accuracy of precision DAC signal chains. It shows how the static errors accumulate throughout your signal chain to quickly evaluate the design tradeoffs. Calculations include the DC errors introduced by Voltage References, Operation Amplifiers and Precision DACs.
AD5721 Companion Parts
Recommended External Voltage References
- For precision, low dropout, low cost: REF192.
- For precision, high accuracy & output trim adjust: ADR431.
- For precision, high accuracy: ADR421.
- For precision, low noise, low drift: ADR4525.
Recommended Power Solutions
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.