Features and Benefits
- Seamless Transition Between Power Sources: Li-Ion Battery, USB, and 6V to 38V Supply (60V Max)
- 2A Output High Voltage Buck Regulator with Bat-Track™ Adaptive Output Control (LTC4090)
- Internal 215mΩ Ideal Diode Plus Optional External Ideal Diode Controller Provides Low Loss Power Path™ When External Supply / USB Not Present
- Load Dependent Charging from USB Input Guarantees Current Compliance
- Full Featured Li-Ion Battery Charger
- 1.5A Maximum Charge Current with Thermal Limiting
- NTC Thermistor Input for Temperature Qualified Charging
- Tiny (3mm × 6mm × 0.75mm) 22-Pin DFN Package
The LTC4090/LTC4090-5 are USB power managers plus high voltage Li-Ion/Polymer battery chargers. The devices control the total current used by the USB peripheral for operation and battery charging. Battery charge current is automatically reduced such that the sum of the load current and the charge current does not exceed the programmed input current limit. The LTC4090/LTC4090-5 also accommodate high voltage power supplies, such as 12V AC/DC wall adapters, FireWire, or automotive power.
The LTC4090 provides a Bat-Track adaptive output that tracks the battery voltage for high efficiency charging from the high voltage input. The LTC4090-5 provides a ﬁxed 5V output from the high voltage input to charge single cell Li-Ion batteries. The charge current is programmable and an end-of-charge status output (CHRG) indicates full charge. Also featured are programmable total charge time, an NTC thermistor input used to monitor battery temperature while charging and automatic recharging of the battery.
|Float Voltage (V)||NTC Hot Threshold||Bat-Track Adaptive HV Output|
- HDD-Based Media Players
- Personal Navigation Devices
- Other USB-Based Handheld Products
- Automotive Accessories
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Demostration circuit DC1210A is a dual (one high voltage, one low voltage) input, USB PowerPath controller with a 36V (60V transients) DC/DC converter plus a Li-Ion battery charger featuring the LTC4090. The 2A buck has an input voltage range of 6V to 36V and it provides an output that is 300mV above the battery voltage. The buck output goes to a low dropout 1.5A CC/CV linear lithium-ion battery charger configured for 700mA output and a 4.2V charge voltage.
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
Product Selector Card (1)
Press Releases (1)
Technical Articles (1)
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.