Features and Benefits
- Programmable Charge Current Up to 800mA
- No MOSFET, Sense Resistor or Blocking Diode Required
- Complete Linear Charger in ThinSOT™ Package for Single Cell Lithium-Ion Batteries
- Constant-Current/Constant-Voltage Operation with Thermal Regulation* to Maximize Charge Rate Without Risk of Overheating
- Charges Single Cell Li-Ion Batteries Directly from USB Port
- Preset 4.2V Charge Voltage with ±1% Accuracy
- Charge Current Monitor Output for Gas Gauging*
- Automatic Recharge
- Charge Status Output Pin
- C/10 Charge Termination
- 25µA Supply Current in Shutdown
- 2.9V Trickle Charge Threshold (LTC4054)
- Available Without Trickle Charge (LTC4054X)
- Soft-Start Limits Inrush Current
- Available in 5-Lead SOT-23 Package
The LTC4054 is a complete constant-current/constant-voltage linear charger for single cell lithium-ion batteries. Its ThinSOT package and low external component count make the LTC4054 ideally suited for portable applications. Furthermore, the LTC4054 is specifically designed to work within USB power specifications.
No external sense resistor is needed, and no blocking diode is required due to the internal MOSFET architecture. Thermal feedback regulates the charge current to limit the die temperature during high power operation or high ambient temperature. The charge voltage is fixed at 4.2V, and the charge current can be programmed externally with a single resistor. The LTC4054 automatically terminates the charge cycle when the charge current drops to 1/10th the programmed value after the final float voltage is reached.
When the input supply (wall adapter or USB supply) is removed, the LTC4054 automatically enters a low current state, dropping the battery drain current to less than 2µA. The LTC4054 can be put into shutdown mode, reducing the supply current to 25µA.
Other features include charge current monitor, undervoltage lockout, automatic recharge and a status pin to indicate charge termination and the presence of an input voltage.
|Max Charge Current||Trickle Charge|
- Cellular Telephones, PDAs, MP3 Players
- Charging Docks and Cradles
- Bluetooth Applications
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.