Features and Benefits
- Complete NiMH/NiCd Charger for 1 to 16 Cells
- No Microcontroller or Firmware Required
- 550kHz PWM Current Source Controller
- No Audible Noise with Ceramic Capacitors
- Wide Input Voltage Range: 5.5V to 34V
- Programmable Charge Current: 5% Accuracy
- Automatic Trickle Precharge
- –ΔV Fast Charge Termination
- Optional ΔT/Δt Fast Charge Termination
- Optional Temperature Qualification
- Automatic NiMH Top-Off Charge
- Programmable Timer
- Automatic Recharge
- Multiple Status Outputs
- Micropower Shutdown
- 16-Lead Thermally Enhanced TSSOP Package
The LTC4010 provides a complete, cost-effective nickel battery fast charge solution in a small package using few external components. A 550kHz PWM current source controller and all necessary charge initiation, monitoring and termination control circuitry are included.
The LTC4010 automatically senses the presence of a DC adapter and battery insertion or removal. When an external DC source is not present, the LTC4010 enters shutdown and supply current drawn from an installed battery drops to the lowest possible level. Heavily discharged batteries are precharged with a trickle current. The LTC4010 can simultaneously use both –ΔV and ΔT/Δt fast charge termination techniques and can detect various battery faults. If necessary, a top-off charge is automatically applied to NiMH batteries after fast charging is completed. The IC will also resume charging if the battery self-discharges after a full charge cycle.
All LTC4010 charging operations are qualified by actual charge time and maximum average cell voltage. Charging may also be gated by minimum and maximum temperature limits. NiMH or NiCd fast charge termination parameters are pin selectable.
- Integrated or Standalone Battery Charger
- Portable Instruments or Consumer Products
- Battery-Powered Diagnostics and Control
- Back-Up Battery Management
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.