Features and Benefits
- Out-of-Phase Controllers Reduce Required Input Capacitance and Power Supply Induced Noise
- OPTI-LOOP® Compensation Minimizes COUT
- Dual N-Channel MOSFET Synchronous Drive
- ±1% Output Voltage Accuracy
- Power Good Output Voltage Monitor (LTC1628-PG)
- DC Programmed Fixed Frequency 150kHz to 300kHz
- Wide VIN Range: 3.5V to 36V Operation
- Very Low Dropout Operation: 99% Duty Cycle
- Adjustable Soft-Start Current Ramping
- Foldback Output Current Limiting
- Latched Short-Circuit Shutdown with Defeat Option
- Output Overvoltage Protection
- Remote Output Voltage Sense
- Low Shutdown IQ: 20µA
- 5V and 3.3V Standby Regulators
- Small 28-Lead SSOP Package
- Selectable Constant Frequency or Burst Mode® Operation
- Available in 5mm × 5mm QFN and 28-Pin SSOP Packages
The LTC1628/LTC1628-PG are high performance dual step-down switching regulator controllers that drive all N-channel synchronous power MOSFET stages. A constant frequency current mode architecture allows adjustment of the frequency up to 300kHz. Power loss and noise due to the ESR of the input capacitors are minimized by operating the two controller output stages out of phase.
OPTI-LOOP compensation allows the transient response to be optimized over a wide range of output capacitance and ESR values. The precision 0.8V reference and power good output indicator are compatible with future microprocessor generations, and a wide 3.5V to 30V (36V maximum) input supply range encompasses all battery chemistries.
A RUN/SS pin for each controller provides both soft-start and optional timed, short-circuit shutdown. Current foldback limits MOSFET dissipation during short-circuit conditions when overcurrent latchoff is disabled. Output overvoltage protection circuitry latches on the bottom MOSFET until VOUT returns to normal. The FCB mode pin can select among Burst Mode, constant frequency mode and continuous inductor current mode or regulate a secondary winding. The LTC1628-PG includes a power good output pin that replaces the FLTCPL, fault coupling control pin of the LTC1628.
- Notebook and Palmtop Computers, PDAs
- Battery Chargers
- Portable Instruments
- Battery-Operated Digital Devices
- DC Power Distribution Systems
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (7)
Demonstration circuit 392 is a dual output, step-down, synchronous buck converter featuring either the 150kHz to 300kHz LTC1628EUH controller (DC392A-A), the 250kHz to 550kHz LTC3728EUH (DC392A-B) or 250kHz to 550kHz LTC3728LUH (DC392A-C). It operates with an input voltage range of 7V to 24V and provides 3.3V @ 5A and 5V @ 4A at its output.
Design Notes (7)
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
Technical Articles (6)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.