Features and Benefits
- Dual, matched VGAs
- Maximum voltage gain: 18 dB
- Gain control attenuation range: 21 dB typical for TA = 25°C
- ±1 dB gain flatness bandwidth: 2.5 GHz typical
- IMD2 and IMD3 (1.5 V p-p output level)
- −56.8 dBc typical and −75 dBc typical, respectively, at VGN = 1.5 V, 980 MHz and 1000 MHz tones
- HD2 and HD3 (1.5 V p-p output level)
- −75 dBc typical and −73.7 dBc typical, respectively, at VGN = 1.5 V, fundamental at 500 MHz
- −55.9 dBc typical and −57.5 dBc typical, respectively, at VGN = 1.5 V, fundamental at 1 GHz
- Noise figure:
- 10.5 dB typical at maximum gain and at 500 MHz
- 14.8 dB at maximum gain and at 2 GHz
- Noise figure decreases dB for dB with gain backoff
- 100 Ω differential input impedance
- ≤ 16 Ω differential output impedance
- Output DC offset nominal range: ± 400 mV
- Output common-mode control: > ± 200 mV for VOCM = ±0.2 V
- Single- or dual-supply operation with power-down feature
- Single supply: VPOS = 5 V, VNEG = 0 V (nominal)
- Dual supply: VPOS = 3 V, VNEG = −2 V (nominal)
The ADRF6521 is a dual, fully differential, low noise and low distortion variable gain amplifier (VGA). The high spurious-free dynamic range over the gain range makes the ADRF6521 ideal for communication systems with dense constellations, multiple carriers, and nearby interferers.
The VGA has a 21 dB attenuation range with a typical voltage gain of 18 dB. The differential input impedance is 100 Ω, while the differential output impedance is 16 Ω. The ±1 dB gain flatness bandwidth is 2.5 GHz. The output buffers are capable of swinging 1.5 V p-p into 100 Ω loads at >55 dBc for second-order and third-order intermodulation distortion (IMD2 and IMD3), and for second and third harmonic distortion (HD2 and HD3) from low frequency to 1 GHz. Variable output dc offset control is accomplished with the OFS1 and OFS2 pins, and the output common-mode can be controlled with the VOCM pin.
The ADRF6521 flexibly operates from a single +5 V supply or from a range of dual supplies and consumes a total supply current of 200 mA. When fully disabled, it consumes 25 mA typical. The ADRF6521 is fabricated in an advanced silicon-germanium BiCMOS process and is available in a 20-lead, exposed pad, 3 mm × 3 mm LFCSP. Performance is specified over the −40°C to +85°C temperature range.
- Point-to-point and point-to-multipoint radios
- Baseband IQ receivers
- Diversity receivers
- ADC drivers
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
This user guide describes the ADRF6521-EVALZ kit for the ADRF6521 dual-channel variable gain amplifier (VGA) and how to configure the evaluation board to evaluate the ADRF6521 in a single-ended and differential configuration.
The ADRF6521-EVALZ allows the user to test all the functions and features offered by the ADRF6521 including analog gain control, output common-mode control, and output dc offset control. Signal path traces are matched and are intuitively laid out on the four corners of the evaluation board, providing easy interfacing with other evaluation boards.
A full description and complete specifications for the ADRF6521 are provided in the ADRF6521 data sheet and must be consulted in conjunction with this user guide when using the evaluation board.
Features & Benefits
- Standard single-ended interfacing
- Differential interfacing available
- Supply voltage(s) easily applied to test loop(s)
- Dual-supply capable
- Analog gain control applied to test loop
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.