Features and Benefits
- Ultrawideband frequency range: 9 kHz to 40 GHz
- Attenuation range: 0.5 dB steps to 31.5 dB
- Low insertion loss with impedance match
- 2.0 dB up to 18 GHz
- 2.8 dB up to 26 GHz
- 4.5 dBup to 40 GHz
- Attenuation accuracy with impedance match
- ±(0.20 + 1.0% of attenuation state) up to 18 GHz
- ±(0.20 + 1.5% of attenuation state) up to 26 GHz
- ±(0.40+ 3.0% of attenuation state) up to 40 GHz
- Typical step error with impedance match
- ±0.25 dB up to 26 GHz
- ±0.65 dB up to 40 GHz
- High input linearity
- P0.1dB insertion loss state: 30 dBm
- P0.1dB other attenuation states: 27 dBm
- IP3: 50 dBm typical
- High RF input power handling: 27 dBm average, 30 dBm peak
- Tight distribution in relative phase
- No low frequency spurious signals
- SPI and parallel mode control, CMOS/LVTTL compatible
- RF amplitude settling time (0.1 dB of final RF output): 8 µs
- 24-terminal, 4 mm × 4 mm LGA package
- Pin-compatible with ADRF5730, fast switching version
The ADRF5720 is a silicon, 6-bit digital attenuator with 31.5 dB attenuation control range in 0.5 dB steps.
This device operates from 9 kHz to 40 GHz with better than 4.5 dB of insertion loss and excellent attenuation accuracy. The ATTIN port of the ADRF5720 has a radio frequency (RF) input power handling capability of 27 dBm average and 30 dBm peak for all states.
The ADRF5720 requires a dual supply voltage of +3.3 V and −3.3 V. The device features serial peripheral interface (SPI), parallel mode control, and complementary metal-oxide semiconductor (CMOS)-/low voltage transistor to transistor logic (LVTTL)-compatible controls.
The ADRF5720 is pin-compatible with the ADRF5730, the fast switching version, which operates from 100 MHz to 40 GHz.
The ADRF5720 RF ports are designed to match a characteristic impedance of 50 Ω. For wideband applications, impedance matching on the RF transmission lines can further optimize high frequency insertion loss, return loss, and attenuation accuracy characteristics. Refer to the Electrical Specifications section, the Typical Performance Characteristicssection, and the Applications Information section for more details.
The ADRF5720 comes in a 24-terminal, 4 mm × 4 mm, RoHS compliant, land grid array (LGA) package and operates from −40°C to +105°C.
- Industrial scanners
- Test and instrumentation
- Cellular infrastructure: 5G millimeter wave
- Military radios, radars, electronic counter measures (ECMs)
- Microwave radios and very small aperture terminals (VSATs)
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The ADRF5720-EVALZ is a 4-layer evaluation board. Each copper layer is 0.7mil (0.5 oz) and separated by dielectric materials.
All RF and dc traces are routed on the top copper layer whereas the inner and bottom layers are grounded planes that provide a solid ground for the RF transmission lines. Top dielectric material is 8 mil Rogers RO4003, offering good high frequency performance. The middle and bottom dielectric materials are for providing mechanical strength. The overall board thickness is 62 mil, which allows for 2.4mm RF launchers to be connected at the board edges.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.