Features and Benefits
- 5.7 kV rms isolated RS-485/RS-422 transceiver
- Low radiated emissions, integrated, isolated dc-to-dc converter
- Passes EN 55032 Class B with margin on a 2-layer PCB
- Cable invert smart feature
- Correct reversed cable connection on A, B, Y, and Z bus pins while maintaining full receiver fail-safe feature
- ESD protection on RS-485 A, B, Y, and Z pins
- ≥±12 kV IEC61000-4-2 contact discharge
- ≥±15 kV IEC61000-4-2 air discharge
- High speed 25 Mbps data rate (ADM2865E/ADM2867E)
- Low speed 500 kbps data rate for EMI control (ADM2861E/ADM2863E)
- Flexible power supplies
- Input VCC supply of 3 V to 5.5 V
- Logic VIO supply of 1.7 V to 5.5 V
- VSEL pin to select VISO supply of 5 V (VCC > 4.5 V) or 3.3 V
- PROFIBUS compliant for 5 V VISO
- Wide operating temperature range: −40°C to +105°C
- High common-mode transient immunity: 250 kV/μs
- Short-circuit, open-circuit, and floating input receiver fail-safe
- Supports 192 bus nodes (72 kΩ receiver input impedance)
- Full hot swap support (glitch free power-up/power-down)
- Safety and regulatory approvals (pending)
- CSA Component Acceptance Notice 5A, DIN V VDE V 0884-11, UL 1577, CQC11-471543-2012, IEC 61010-1
- Complies with ANSI/TIA/EIA-485-A-98 and ISO 8482:1987(E)
- 28-lead, fine pitch SOIC_W package (10.15 mm × 10.05 mm) with >8.0 mm creepage and clearance
The ADM2861E, ADM2863E, ADM2865E, and ADM2867E are 5.7 kV rms signal and power isolated RS-485 transceivers. These devices are designed for balanced transmission lines and comply with ANSI/TIA/EIA-485-A-98 and ISO 8482:1987(E). The devices pass radiated emissions testing to the EN 55032 Class B standard with margin on a 2-layer printed circuit board (PCB) using two small external 0402 ferrites on isolated power and ground pins. The device features an integrated, low electromagnetic interference (EMI), isolated dc-to-dc converter, which eliminates the need for an external isolated power supply. The isolation barrier provides immunity to system level electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) standards. The family of isolator devices features ±12 kV contact and ±15 kV air IEC61000-4-2 ESD protection on the RS-485 A, B, Y, and Z pins. The devices also features cable invert pins, allowing the user to quickly correct reversed cable connection on the A, B, Y, and Z bus pins while maintaining full receiver fail-safe performance.
Slew rate limited versions are available, which are optimized for low speed over long cable runs, and have a maximum data rate of 500 kbps. Half duplex and full duplex variants are available. The full duplex generics allow independent cable inversion of the driver and receiver for additional flexibility.
- Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) networks
- Industrial field buses
- Building automation
- Utility networks
- Energy meters
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-ADM2867EEBZ allows the simplified, efficient evaluation of the 5.7 kV rms ADM2867E signal and power isolated RS-485 transceiver.
The ADM2867E features an integrated, isolated, dc-to-dc converter that provides power to the isolated side of the device with no additional ICs required.
An on-board ADP7104 low dropout (LDO) regulator accepts an input voltage of 3.3 V to 20 V and regulates the voltage to a selectable 3.3 V or 5 V supply for the VCC pin of the ADM2867E. The LDO regulator can be bypassed to power the VCC pin of the ADM2867E directly.
A flexible logic VIO supply allows the device to operate with a digital input/output (I/O) voltage from 1.7 V to 5.5 V, which enables communication with modern nodes using either a 1.8 V or 2.5 V power supply. The VIO pin can also be supplied from the ADP7104 regulated supply.
The EVAL-ADM2867EEBZ comes with options to evaluate the ADM2867E in an individual system. Digital and RS-485 bus signals are accessible via the screw terminal blocks on the EVALADM2867EEBZ. Each digital input can be configured via the on-board jumper options.
Alternative methods can provide the transmit data input (TxD) signal to the device. An optional LTC6900 oscillator is included on the EVAL-ADM2867EEBZ and can be configured to provide a clock signal as the TxD digital input within a 1 kHz to 20 MHz range. For optimal signal integrity, use the on-board Subminiature Version A (SMA) connector to connect an external TxD signal at high data rates up to 25 Mbps.
The EVAL-ADM2867EEBZ has a footprint for the full duplex, isolated, RS-485 transceiver in a 10.15 mm × 10.05 mm, 28-lead, small outline, wide body with fine pitch (SOIC_W_FP) package. The EVAL-ADM2867EEBZ is populated with the ADM2867E 5.7 kV rms, isolated RS-485 transceiver.
For full details on the ADM2867E, see the ADM2867E data sheet, which must be used in conjunction with this user guide when using the EVAL-ADM2867EEBZ.
Features & Benefits
- Simplified evaluation of the 25 Mbps ADM2867E RS-485 transceiver
- 2-layer PCB compliant to EN 55032 Class B radiated emissions
- Footprint for 10.15 mm × 10.05 mm, 28-lead SOIC_W_FP package with >8.0 mm creepage and clearance
- On-board ADP7104 LDO regulator with jumper options for simplified evaluation in 5 V or 3.3 V configuration
- Flexible, low voltage VIO supply rail to interface with I/O nodes as low as 1.7 V
- Selectable 3.3 V or 5 V isolated supply voltage options available
- IEC 61000-4-2 ESD protection on the A, B, Y, and Z pins
- ±12 kV contact discharge and ±15 kV air discharge
- SMA connector for high speed 25 Mbps TxD input signal
- Optional on-board LTC6900 oscillator to provide TxD input signal
- Screw terminal blocks for power connections, digital signals, and RS-485 signals
- Jumper-selectable enable and disable for digital input signals
- Resistors and footprints for termination and loopback test
- Test points to measure all signals
Documentation & Resources
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.