Features and Benefits
- Wideband integrated bidirectional bridge
- Raw directivity >10 dB up to 17 GHz typical
- Low insertion loss <2.5 dB typical
- Return Loss >12 dB typical
- Phase synchronized measurement across multiple devices (ports)
- SPI-configurable LO interface
- 10 MHz to 20 GHz direct LO drive
- LO frequency doubler and quadrupler
- Low frequency divider
- IF frequency offset mixer with input divider ratio 1, 2, or 4
- High dynamic range, wideband IF signal paths
- SPI-programmable IF bandwidth from 1 MHz to 100 MHz
- Individually SPI-programmable amplifiers, 6 dB step size
- Externally adjustable output common mode level
- 5-bit SPI readable temperature sensor
- Active supply current (using direct LO drive) 110 mA at 5.0 V
- Low power shutdown mode
- 3 mm × 4 mm, 26-lead LFCSP
The ADL5960 is a wideband vector network analyzer front-end consisting of a resistive bidirectional bridge, down-conversion mixers, programmable IF amplifiers and filters, and a highly flexible local oscillator (LO) interface. The bridge provides >10 dB of directivity up to 17 GHz, and the primary transmission line of the bridge, from RFIN to RFOUT, is wideband impedance matched to 50 Ω and has a flat frequency response with <2.5 dB typical insertion loss.
The ADL5960 supports several different LO interface configurations that simplify the clocking design of a VNA solution as well as the interfacing of the device to an analog-to-digital converter (ADC). The frequency divider and multipliers in the LO interface enable measurement sweeps beyond the operating frequency range of the source driving the (LOP and LOM) pins. This enables operation over the full 20 GHz bandwidth of the ADL5960 using a 6 GHz synthesizer as the LO source. The IF frequency offset mixer, driven through the (OFP and OFM) interface, enables further simplification by allowing the (swept) RF and LO signals to be driven by the same frequency source. The frequency of the IF output signals is then determined by the low-frequency source driving the (OFP and OFM) interface. Driving this interface at the ADC sample frequency with the divide by 4 enabled, automatically centers the IF output signal in the first Nyquist zone.
The IF filters with programmable bandwidth and IF amplifiers with individually programmable gain enable simultaneous dynamic range optimization of the IF signals at the incident channel (IFFP and IFFM) and reverse channel (IFRP and IFRM) IF interfaces. The IF amplifiers have an adjustable output common-mode level and sufficient drive capability to interface directly with a wide range of ADCs.
All configurations and functions in the ADL5960 are fully programmable through a 3-wire serial peripheral interface (SPI) using the ADI-SPI interface standard. The ADL5960 is offered in a small footprint 26-lead, 3 mm × 4 mm LFCSP.
- Broadband, multi-port vector network analyzers
- S-parameter magnitude and phase measurement
- In-line RF power measurement
- Automated test equipment
- Materials analysis
Product Lifecycle Pre-Release
This product is new and engineering validation may still be underway. Quantities may be limited and design specifications may change while we ready the product for release to production.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.