Features and Benefits
- Fully integrated single-lead ECG front end
- Low supply current: 170 μA (typical)
- Common-mode rejection ratio: 80 dB (dc to 60 Hz)
- Two or three electrode configurations
- High signal gain (G = 100) with dc blocking capabilities
- 2-pole adjustable high-pass filter
- Accepts up to ±300 mV of half cell potential
- Fast restore feature improves filter settling
- Uncommitted op amp
- 3-pole adjustable low-pass filter with adjustable gain
- Leads off detection: ac or dc options
- Integrated right leg drive (RLD) amplifier
- Single-supply operation: 2.0 V to 3.5 V
- Integrated reference buffer generates virtual ground
- Rail-to-rail output
- Internal RFI filter
- 8 kV HBM ESD rating
- Shutdown pin
- 20-lead 4 mm × 4 mm LFCSP package
- Qualified for automotive applications
The AD8232 is an integrated signal conditioning block for ECG and other biopotential measurement applications. It is designed to extract, amplify, and filter small biopotential signals in the presence of noisy conditions, such as those created by motion or remote electrode placement. This design allows for an ultralow power analog-to-digital converter (ADC) or an embedded microcontroller to acquire the output signal easily.
The AD8232 can implement a two-pole high-pass filter for eliminating motion artifacts and the electrode half-cell potential. This filter is tightly coupled with the instrumentation architec-ture of the amplifier to allow both large gain and high-pass filtering in a single stage, thereby saving space and cost.
An uncommitted operational amplifier enables the AD8232 to create a three-pole low-pass filter to remove additional noise. The user can select the frequency cutoff of all filters to suit different types of applications.
To improve common-mode rejection of the line frequencies in the system and other undesired interferences, the AD8232 includes an amplifier for driven lead applications, such as right leg drive (RLD).
The AD8232 includes a fast restore function that reduces the duration of otherwise long settling tails of the high-pass filters. After an abrupt signal change that rails the amplifier (such as a leads off condition), the AD8232 automatically adjusts to a higher filter cutoff. This feature allows the AD8232 to recover quickly, and therefore, to take valid measurements soon after connecting the electrodes to the subject.
The AD8232 is available in a 4 mm × 4 mm, 20-lead LFCSP and a LFCSP_SS package. Performance for the A grade models is specified from 0°C to 70°C and the models are operational from −40°C to +85°C. Performance for the W grade models is specified over the automotive temperature range of −40°C to +105°C.
- Fitness and activity heart rate monitors
- Portable ECG
- Remote health monitors
- Gaming peripherals
- Biopotential signal acquisition
Markets & Technology
AD8232 wins 2012 Hot 100 Award from EDN!
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Features & Benefits
- Ready to use heart rate monitor (HRM) front end
- Operates in two electrode or three electrode configurations
- Directly interfaces to data acquisition and analog-to-digital converters (ADCs)
- Easy feature selection with switches
- Allows various circuit configurations
AD8232 Companion Parts
- For ultralow power, low noise and patient motion detection: ADXL362.
Recommended Analog to Digital Converter
Recommended Linear Regulator
- For ultralow noise, low power, low dropout: ADP150.
3rd Party Solutions (1)
Analog Dialogue (1)
Press Releases (1)
Rarely Asked Questions (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.