Features and Benefits
- High CMRR
- 100 dB CMRR (minimum), G = 10 (B grade)
- 80 dB CMRR (minimum) to 5 kHz, G = 1 (B grade)
- Excellent ac specifications and low power
- 1.5 MHz bandwidth (G = 1)
- 14 nV/√Hz input noise (1 kHz)
- Slew rate: 2 V/μs
- 750 μA quiescent supply current (maximum)
AD8220-EP supports defense and aerospace applications (AQEC standard)
- Download AD8220-EP data sheet (pdf)
- Military temperature range (−55°C to +125°C)
- Controlled manufacturing baseline
- One assembly/test site
- One fabrication site
- Enhanced product change notification
- Qualification data available on request
- V62/17607 DSCC Drawing Number
Qualified for Automotive Applications
- Low input currents
- 10 pA maximum input bias current (B grade)
- 0.6 pA maximum input offset current (B grade)
- MSOP package
- Rail-to-rail output
- Input voltage range to below negative supply rail
- 4 kV ESD protection
- 4.5 V to 36 V single supply
- ±2.25 V to ±18 V dual supply
- Gain set with single resistor (G = 1 to 1000)
The AD8220 is the first single-supply, JFET input instrumentation amplifier available in an MSOP package. Designed to meet the needs of high performance, portable instrumentation, the AD8220 has a minimum common-mode rejection ratio (CMRR) of 86 dB at dc and a minimum CMRR of 80 dB at 5 kHz for G = 1. Maximum input bias current is 10 pA and typically remains below 300 pA over the entire industrial temperature range. Despite the JFET inputs, the AD8220 typically has a noise corner of only 10 Hz.
With the proliferation of mixed-signal processing, the number of power supplies required in each system has grown. The AD8220 is designed to alleviate this problem. The AD8220 can operate on a ±18 V dual supply, as well as on a single +5 V supply. Its rail-to-rail output stage maximizes dynamic range on the low voltage supplies common in portable applications. Its ability to run on a single 5 V supply eliminates the need to use higher voltage, dual supplies. The AD8220 draws a maximum of 750 μA of quiescent current, making it ideal for battery powered devices.
Gain is set from 1 to 1000 with a single resistor. Increasing the gain increases the common-mode rejection. Measurements that need higher CMRR when reading small signals benefit when the AD8220 is set for large gains.
A reference pin allows the user to offset the output voltage. This feature is useful when interfacing with analog-to-digital converters.
The AD8220 is available in an MSOP that takes roughly half the board area of an SOIC. Performance for the A and B grade is specified over the industrial temperature range of −40°C to +85°C, and the W grade is specified over the automotive temperature range of −40°C to +125°C.
- Medical instrumentation
- Precision data acquisition
- Transducer interfaces
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Analog Devices provides a line of evaluation boards designed to help users evaluate our instrumentation amplifiers in 8 pin packages. Access the user guide UG-261.
This user guide describes three generic evaluation boards that can be used to evaluate many of Analog Devices instrumentation amplifiers. For information on the performance of a specific instrumentation amplifier, see the data sheet for that instrumentation amplifier.
- 3 generic, easy-to-use evaluation boards
- Shipped with an assortment of Analog Devices in-amps
- Solder in the in-amp to be tested
- Test pins already populated
- Decoupling capacitors already populated
- EVAL-INAMP-62RZ board: Compatible with AD620, AD621, AD622, AD623, AD627, AD8223, AD8225, LT1167, LT1168 and LT6370 in SOIC or PDIP
- EVAL-INAMP-82RZ board: Compatible with AD8221, AD8226, AD8227, AD8228, AD8229, AD8421, AD8428, and AD8429 in SOIC package
- EVAL-INAMP-82RMZ board: Compatible with AD8220, AD8221, AD8226, AD8227, AD8228, AD8236, and AD8421 in MSOP package
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
In-Amp Diamond Plot Tool
The Diamond Plot Tool is a web application that generates a configuration-specific Output Voltage Range vs. Input Common-Mode Voltage graph, also known as the Diamond Plot, for Analog Devices Instrumentation Amplifiers. Based on user inputs such as supply voltage, gain, and input signal range, the tool detects saturation and recommends in-amps for which the input signal is in-range and the configuration is valid. Avoid saturation, find the best in-amp for your design, and save time.
Reference Designs (1)
CN0411TDS Measurement System for Water Quality Monitoring
CN0411TDS Measurement System for Water Quality Monitoring
Features & Benefits
- Measures TDS using Electrical Conductivity
- Measurement range from 1uS to 1S
- Uses Standard BNC Probe Connection
- Arduino Form Factor Compatible
Circuit Note (1)
Technical Articles (10)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.