Features and Benefits
- 14-bit resolution with no missing codes
- 8-channel multiplexer with choice of inputs
- Unipolar single-ended
- Differential (GND sense)
- Throughput: 250 kSPS
- INL/DNL: ±0.5/±0.25 LSB typical
- SINAD: 85 dB @ 20 kHz
- THD: −100 dB @ 20 kHz
- Analog input range: 0 V to VREF with VREF up to VDD
- Multiple reference types
- Internal selectable 2.5 V or 4.096 V
- External buffered (up to 4.096 V)
- External (up to VDD)
- Internal temperature sensor (TEMP)
- Channel sequencer, selectable 1-pole filter, busy indicator
- No pipeline delay, SAR architecture
- Single-supply 2.3 V to 5.5 V operation with 1.8 V to 5.5 V logic interface
- Serial interface compatible with SPI, MICROWIRE, QSPI, and DSP
- Power dissipation
- 2.9 mW at 2.5 V/200 kSPS
- 10.8 mW at 5 V/250 kSPS
- Standby current: 50 nA
- 20-lead 4 mm × 4 mm LFCSP package
AD7949-EP supports defense and aerospace applications (AQEC standard)
- Download AD7949-EP data sheet
- Military temperature range (−55°C to +125°C)
- Controlled manufacturing baseline
- Enhanced product change notification
- Qualification data available on request
- V62/12645 DSCC Drawing Number
The AD7949 is an 8-channel, 14-bit, charge redistribution successive approximation register (SAR) analog-to-digital converter (ADC) that operates from a single power supply, VDD.
The AD7949 contains all components for use in a multichannel, low power data acquisition system, including a true 14-bit SAR ADC with no missing codes; an 8-channel, low crosstalk multiplexer that is useful for configuring the inputs as single-ended (with or without ground sense), differential, or bipolar; an internal low drift reference (selectable 2.5 V or 4.096 V) and buffer; a temperature sensor; a selectable one-pole filter; and a sequencer that is useful when channels are continuously scanned in order.
The AD7949 uses a simple SPI interface for writing to the configuration register and receiving conversion results. The SPI interface uses a separate supply, VIO, which is set to the host logic level. Power dissipation scales with throughput.
The AD7949 is housed in a tiny 20-lead LFCSP with operation specified from −40°C to +85°C.
- Multichannel system monitoring
- Battery-powered equipment
- Medical instruments: ECG/EKG
- Mobile communications: GPS
- Personal digital assistants
- Power line monitoring
- Data acquisition
- Seismic data acquisition systems
- Process control
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-AD7949EDZ is a fully featured evaluation Kit for the AD7949. This board operates in stand alone mode or in conjunction with the Converter Evaluation and Development board, EVAL-CED1Z . When operated with the Converter Evaluation and Development board, software is provided enabling the user to perform detailed analysis of the ADC's performance. This software includes the technical note describing the operation and set up of the evaluation board in standalone operation or when operated with the Converter Evaluation and Development board.
Tools & Simulations
AD7949 Companion Parts
Recommended Driver Amplifiers
For precision, low power, low distortion applications
: ADA4805-1, ADA4805-2, ADA4841-1, ADA4841-2.
- For a fully differential attenuating precision amplifier: AD8475.
- For low noise, low power single-to-differential driver amplifier: ADA4941-1.
- For 5V single supply and low noise: AD8655.
High frequency, low noise, low distortion applications
: ADA4807-1, ADA4807-2, ADA4897-1, ADA4897-2.
Recommended External References
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.