Features and Benefits
- Low Cost A-D Conversion
- Versatile Input Amplifier
Positive or Negative Voltage Modes
Negative Current Mode
High Input Impedance, Low Drift
- Single Supply, 5 V to 36 V
- Linearity: ±0.05% FS
- Low Power: 1.2 mA Quiescent Current
- Full-Scale Frequency up to 100 kHz
- 1.00 V Reference
- Thermometer Output (1 mV/K)
- F-V Applications
- MIL-STD-883 Compliant Versions Available
The AD537 is a monolithic V-F converter consisting of an input amplifier, a precision oscillator system, an accurate internal reference generator and a high current output stage. Only a single external RC network is required to set up any full-scale (F.S.) frequency up to 100 kHz and any F.S. input voltage up to ±30 V. Linearity error is as low as ±0.05% for 10 kHz F.S., and operation is guaranteed over an 80 dB dynamic range. The overall temperature coefficient (excluding the effects of external components) is typically ±30 ppm/°C. The AD537 operates from a single supply of 5 V to 36 V and consumes only 1.2 mA quiescent current.
A temperature-proportional output, scaled to 1.00 mV/K, enables the circuit to be used as a reliable temperature-to-frequency converter; in combination with the fixed reference output of 1.00 V, offset scales such as 0°C or 0°F can be generated.
The low drift (1µV/°C typ) input amplifier allows operation directly from small signals (e.g., thermocouples or strain gages) while offering a high (250 M(Ω) input resistance. Unlike most V-F converters, the AD537 provides a square-wave output, and can drive up to 12 TTL loads, LEDs, very long cables, etc.
The excellent temperature characteristics and long-term stability of the AD537 are guaranteed by the primary bandgap reference generator and the low T.C. silicon chromium thin film resistors used throughout.
The device is available in either a TO-116 ceramic DIP or a TO-100 metal can; both are hermetically sealed packages.
The AD537 is available in three performance/temperature grades; the J and K grades are specified for operation over the 0°C to +70°C range while the AD537S is specified for operation over the extended temperature range, -55°C to +125°C.
- The AD537 is a complete V-F converter requiring only an external RC timing network to set the desired full-scale frequency and a selectable pull-up resistor for the open collector output stage. Any full-scale input voltage range from 100 mV to 10 volts (or greater, depending on +VS) can be accommodated by proper selection of timing resistor. The full-scale frequency is then set by the timing capacitor from the simple relationship, f = V/10RC.
- The power supply requirements are minimal, only 1.2 mA quiescent current is drawn from a single positive supply from 4.5 volts to 36 volts. In this mode, positive inputs can vary from 0 volts (ground) to (+Vs - 4) volts. Negative inputs can easily be connected for below ground operation.
- F-V converters with excellent characteristic are also easy to build by connecting the AD537 in a phase-locked loop. Application particulars are shown in Figure 6.
- The versatile open-collector NPN output stage can sink up to 20 mA with a saturation voltage less than 0.4 volts. The Logic Common terminal can be connected to any level between ground (or -V) and 4 volts below +Vs. This allows easy direct interface to any logic family with either positive or negative logic levels.
- The AD537 is available in versions compliant with MIL STD-883. Refer to the Analog Devices Military Product Databook or current AD537/883B data sheet for detailed specifications.
Product Lifecycle Not Recommended for New Designs
This designates products ADI does not recommend broadly for new designs.
Documentation & Resources
AN-280: Mixed Signal Circuit Technologies2/14/2015
AN-361: Ask the Applications Engineer (V/F Converters)10/9/2002
AN-343: Circuit Ideas for IC Converters1/1/2000
AN-277: Applications for the AD537 Voltage to Frequency Converter1/1/2000
AN-276: Analog to Digital Conversion by Using V/F Converters1/1/2000
A Quarter-Century of Analog Dialogue1/1/1991 Analog Dialogue
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.View our quality and reliability program and certifications for more information.
|Part Number||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||Pin/Package Drawing||CAD Symbols, Footprints & 3D Models|
|AD537JCHIPS||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||none available|
|AD537JD||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||14-Lead Side Brazed CerDIP|
|AD537JH||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||10-Lead TO-100|
|AD537KD||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||14-Lead Side Brazed CerDIP|
|AD537KH||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||10-Lead TO-100|
|AD537SD||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||14-Lead Side Brazed CerDIP|
|AD537SD/883B||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||14-Lead Side Brazed CerDIP|
|AD537SH||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||10-Lead TO-100|
|AD537SH/883B||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||10-Lead TO-100|
|Wafer Fabrication Data|
Select a model from the dropdown below to subscribe to PCN/PDN notifications and view past notifications as well.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.