Features and Benefits
- PMBus Interface for Programming, Monitoring, Sequencing Up and Down, and Accurate Output-Voltage Control
- Controls Output Voltage with 0.2% Accuracy for Line, Load, and Temperature Variations
- Output Voltage, Output Current, and Temperature Monitoring with Adjustable Monitor Rate
- Current Measurement with 2.6% Accuracy
- Programmable Soft-Start and Soft-Stop Ramp Rates
- Controls Up to 26 Power Supplies with Hardwired Address Pins and Up to 127 POLs with Software Addressing
- Compatible with REFIN and FB Terminals of POL Power Supplies
- Protection for POL Against Overvoltage, Undervoltage, Overcurrent, Negative Current and Overtemperature Faults with No Action, Latch and Retry (Hiccup) Options
- Open-Drain Active-Low FLT Signal for Fault Detection
- Master-Slave Clocking Option Eliminates External Clock Requirement and Provides Accurate Timing Reference
- External EEPROM Interface for Auto-Programming on Power-Up
The MAX8688 fully integrated digital power-supply controller and monitor IC works with any existing POL (point-of-load) power supply to provide complete digital programmability. By interfacing to the reference input, feedback node, and output enable, the MAX8688 takes control of the POL to provide functions such as perfect tracking, sequencing, margining, and dynamic adjustment of the output voltage.
The MAX8688 offers an accurate 12-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC) accompanied with two differential amplifiers for accurately monitoring both voltage and current. An integrated 12-bit digital-to-analog converter (DAC) is also available to margin power supplies as well as dynamically adjust the output voltage with 0.2% accuracy over temperature using this closed-loop system. An internal temperature sensor provides an additional level of system monitoring.
The user-programmable registers provide flexible and accurate control of time events such as a delay time and transition period, monitoring for overvoltage and undervoltage, overcurrent, reverse-current, overtemperature fault and warning handling. The closed-loop operation is also programmable to make sure the MAX8688 works with any existing POL to provide superior regulation accuracy and accurate margining.
The MAX8688 operates using a PMBus™-compliant communication protocol. The device is programmed using this protocol or simply with the use of a free graphic-user interface (GUI) available from the Maxim website that significantly reduces development time. Once the configuration is complete, the results can be saved into an EEPROM or loaded onto the part through the PMBus at power-up. This allows remote configuration of any POL using the MAX8688, replacing expensive recalls or field service. Module current sharing is also supported, since accurate current measurement and fine resolution voltage control are available. The MAX8688 can be programmed with up to 127 distinct addresses to support large systems. The MAX8688 is offered in a space-saving, 24-pin, lead-free 4mm x 4mm TQFN package.
- DC-DC Modules and POLs
- High-Reliability Infrastructure Equipment
- Telecom Networking
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (2)
The MAX8655 evaluation kit (EV kit) is a fully assembled and tested surface-mount PCB that contains a fixed-frequency, pulse-width modulated (PWM) stepdown switching regulator. The MAX8655 EV kit provides a 1.2V output voltage from a 10.8V to 13.2V input source and delivers up to 20A output current. The MAX8655 IC features internal high-side and low-side power MOSFETs.
A reference input is provided for use with a high-accuracy external reference (REFIN) or for DDR and tracking applications. The MAX8655 EV kit operates at 600kHz. The MAX8655 IC has a programmable internal oscillator with frequency range from 200kHz to 1MHz. The MAX8655 can also be synchronized to an external clock by connecting the clock signal to FSYNC. A synchronization output (SYNCO) is provided to synchronize a second MAX8655 180° out-of-phase with the first by connecting SYNCO of the first MAX8655 to FSYNC of the second.
- IBA Power Supplies
- Nonisolated DC-DC Power Modules
- Notebook Computers
- Point-of-Load Power Supplies
- Servers and Workstations
- Telecom Power
Features & Benefits
- 10.8V to 13.2V Input-Voltage Range
- 20A Maximum Output Current (Additional Airflow or Heat Sink May be Required Above 13A of Output Current)
- Adjustable Output from 0.7V to 5.5V
- Internal High-Side and Low-Side Power MOSFETs
- 200kHz to 1MHz Adjustable Switching Frequency and SYNC Input
- SYNCO Synchronizes 2nd Regulator 180° Out-of-Phase
- Monotonic Startup Provides Safe Starting Into a Pre-Biased Output
- Enable Input and Power-OK Signals
- Low-Profile Components
- Lead-Free and RoHS Compliant
- Fully Assembled and Tested
The MAX8654 evaluation kit (EV kit) is a fully assembled and tested PCB that demonstrates the capabilities of the MAX8654 integrated 8A step-down regulator. The EV kit generates a 3.3V output voltage at load currents up to 8A from a 4.5V to 14V input voltage range. The MAX8654 switches at 500kHz and provides over 93.4% efficiency with the supplied components.
- DDR Memory
- Graphic Cards
- Network-Power Supplies
- POL Power Supplies
- RAID Power Supplies
Features & Benefits
- Internal 26mΩ RDS(ON) MOSFETs
- Guaranteed 8A Output Current
- Adjustable Over-Current Protection, 6A to 12A
- ±1% Output Accuracy Over Load, Line, and Temperature
- Operates from 4.5V to 14V Supply
- Adjustable Output from 0.6V to 0.85 x VIN
- Soft-Start Reduces Inrush Supply Current
- 250kHz to 1.2MHz Adjustable Switching or SYNC Input
- Compatible with Ceramic, Polymer, and Electrolytic Output Capacitors
- SYNCOUT Synchronizes 2nd Regulator 180° Out-of-Phase
- 36-Pin 6mm x 6mm TQFN Package
Documentation & Resources
MAX8688 Reliability Data1/12/202311K
Power-Supply Solutions for Altera FPGAs4/24/2012
Power-Supply Solutions for Xilinx FPGAs4/24/2012
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.