MAX31820: 1-Wire Ambient Temperature Sensor Data Sheet (Rev. 0)6/28/20131M
Features and Benefits
- Unique 1-Wire Interface Requires Only One Port Pin for Communication
- Each Device has a Unique 64-Bit Serial Code Stored in On-Board ROM
- Multidrop Capability Simplifies Distributed Temperature-Sensing Applications
- Requires No External Components
- Can Be Powered from Data Line; 3.0V to 3.7V Power-Supply Range
- Measures Temperatures from -55°C to +125°C (-67°F to +257°F)
- ±0.5°C Accuracy from +10°C to +45°C
- Thermometer Resolution is User-Selectable from 9 Bits to 12 Bits
- Converts Temperature to 12-Bit Digital Word in 750ms (Max)
- User-Definable Nonvolatile (NV) Alarm Settings
- Alarm Search Command Identifies and Addresses Devices Whose Temperature is Outside Programmed Limits (Temperature Alarm Condition)
- Available in 3-Pin TO-92 Package
- TO-92 Package Allows Measurement of Ambient Temperature
- Software Compatible with the DS1822 and DS18B20
The MAX31820 ambient temperature sensor provides 9-bit to 12-bit Celsius temperature measurements with ±0.5°C accuracy over a +10°C to +45°C temperature range. Over its entire -55°C to +125°C operating range, the device has ±2.0°C accuracy.
The device communicates over a 1-Wire® bus that, by definition, requires only one data line (and ground) for communication with a central microprocessor. In addition, the device can derive power directly from the data line (“parasite power”), eliminating the need for an external power supply. Requiring so few pins enables the device to be placed in a 3-pin TO-92 package. The form factor of this package allows the device to be placed above the board and thus measure the ambient temperature of a system, as opposed to the board temperature that a surface-mount package would measure.
Each MAX31820 has a unique 64-bit serial code, which allows multiple MAX31820 devices to function on the same 1-Wire bus. Therefore, it is simple to use one microprocessor to control many devices distributed over a large area.
- Any Thermally Sensitive System
- Consumer Products
- HVAC Environmental Controls
- Industrial Systems
- Process Monitoring and Control Systems
- Temperature Monitoring Systems Inside Buildings, Equipment, or Machinery
- Thermostatic Controls
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Documentation & Resources
MAX31820 Reliability Data1/12/2023229K
UG-4277: Getting Started with the MAXQ2000 USB Thumb Evaluation Kit9/24/2008301K
1-Wire Search Algorithm3/28/2002
Create a 1-Wire Master with Xilinx PicoBlaze2/27/2023
Advanced 1-Wire Network Driver2/14/2023
Overview of Sensor Signal Paths5/12/2010
Introduction to Medical Instruments and Growing Trend for Point-of-Care and Near-Patient Testing5/10/2010
Thermal Management Handbook5/4/2010
How to Power the Extended Features of 1-Wire® Devices6/17/2008
Package Thermal Resistance Values (Theta JA, Theta JC) for Temperature Sensors and 1-Wire Devices11/16/2006
1-Wire Master Device Configuration3/3/2004
1-Wire Communication with a Microchip PICmicro Microcontroller9/16/2003
Curve Fitting the Error of a Bandgap-Based Digital Temperature Sensor6/20/2002
White Paper 5: Using 1-Wire APIs for Data Sheet Commands6/7/2002
1-Wire® Tagging with XML6/7/2002
Using the DS2480B Serial 1-Wire® Line Driver3/12/2002
Interfacing the DS18X20/DS1822 1-Wire® Temperature Sensor in a Microcontroller Environment3/8/2002
Understanding and Using Cyclic Redundancy Checks with Maxim 1-Wire and iButton Products3/29/2001
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.