Features and Benefits
- Dynamically Selectable Output Voltage from +0.7V to VIN
- Internal PMOS/NMOS Switches
- 54mΩ/47mΩ On-Resistance at VIN = +4.5V
- 63mΩ/53mΩ On-Resistance at VIN = +3.0V
- +3.0V to +5.5V Input Voltage Range
- 1.4MHz Maximum Switching Frequency
- 2V ±0.75% Reference Output
- Constant-Off-Time PWM Operation
- Selectable Idle Mode/PWM Operation at Light Loads
- 100% Duty Factor in Dropout
- Digital Soft-Start Inrush Current Limiting
- <1µA Typical Shutdown Supply Current
- <750µA Quiescent Supply Current
- Thermal Shutdown
- 1% VOUT Accuracy Over Line and Load
- External Reference Input
- Power-Good Window Comparator
- Selectable Power-Good Blanking Time During Output-Voltage Transition
The MAX1536 constant-off-time, pulse-width-modulated (PWM) step-down DC-to-DC converter is ideal for use in +5.0V and +3.3V to low voltages for notebook and subnotebook computers. The MAX1536 features an internal PMOS power switch and internal synchronous rectification for high efficiency and reduced component count. No external Schottky diode is required across the internal synchronous rectifier switch. The internal 54mΩ PMOS power switch and 47mΩ NMOS synchronous-rectifier switch easily deliver continuous load currents up to 3.6A. The MAX1536 produces dynamically adjustable output voltages for chipsets and graphics processor cores using a logic-level control signal. The MAX1536 achieves efficiencies as high as 96%.
The MAX1536 uses a unique current-mode, constant-off-time, PWM control scheme. It has selectable Idle Mode™ to maintain high efficiency during light-load operation, or fixed-PWM mode for low output ripple. The programmable constant-off-time architecture allows a wide range of switching frequencies up to 1.4MHz, optimizing performance trade-offs between efficiency, output switching noise, component size, and cost. The MAX1536 features a digital soft-start to limit surge currents during startup, a 100% duty-cycle mode for low-dropout operation, and a low-power shutdown mode that disconnects the input from the output and reduces supply current below 1µA. The MAX1536 is available in a 28-pin thin QFN package with an exposed backside pad.
- Active Termination Buses
- Chipset/Graphics Cores with Dual-Supply Voltages
- DDR Memory Termination
- Notebook Computers
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The MAX1536 evaluation kit (EV kit) provides dynamically adjustable 1.5V/1.8V output voltages from a 3.0V to 5.5V input voltage source. It delivers up to 3.6A output current with up to 93% efficiency.
The MAX1536 EV kit includes the MAX1536 step-down switching regulator with an internal synchronous rectifier to increase efficiency and reduce the number of external components. The resistor-programmable fixedoff- time, current-mode architecture allows an optimum response to load-and-line transients. This EV kit, as configured, operates at approximately 570kHz and is optimized for 3.3V input and 1.8V output.
The EV kit is a fully assembled and tested circuit board. It also allows the evaluation of other output voltages in the 0.7V to VIN range.
- Active Termination Buses (MAX1993)
- Chipset/Graphics Cores
- DDR Memory Termination (MAX1993)
- Notebook Computers with Dual-Supply Voltages
Features & Benefits
- 3.0V to 5.5V Input Voltage Range
- Dynamically Selectable 1.5V/1.8V Output Voltage
- Adjustable Output Voltage from 0.7V to VIN
- Up to 3.6A Output Current
- Up to 1.4MHz Switching Frequency
- <0.2µA (typ) IC Shutdown Supply Current
- No External Schottky Diode Required
- Power-Good Output
- Surface-Mount Construction
- Fully Assembled and Tested
Documentation & Resources
MAX1536 Reliability Data1/12/202333K
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.