Features and Benefits
- Seamless Transition Between Power Sources: Li-Ion Battery, USB, and 6V to 36V External Supply
- High Efficiency 1.2A Charger from 6V to 36V Input with Adaptive Output Control
- 3.95V Float Voltage Improves Battery Lifespan and High Temperature Safety Margin
- Load Dependent Charging from USB Input Guarantees Current Compliance
- 215mΩ Internal Ideal Diode plus Optional External Ideal Diode Controller Provides Low Loss Power Path When External Supply/USB Not Present
- Constant-Current/Constant-Voltage Operation with Thermal Feedback to Maximize Charging Rate without Risk of Overheating
- Selectable 100% or 20% Current Limit (e.g., 500mA/100mA) from USB Input
- Preset 3.95V Charge Voltage with ±0.8% Accuracy
- C/10 Charge Current Detection Output
- NTC Thermistor Input for Temperature Qualified Charging
- Tiny (6mm × 3mm × 0.75mm) 22-Lead DFN Package
The LTC4089-3 is a USB power manager plus high voltage Li-Ion battery charger. This device controls the total current used by the USB peripheral for operation and battery charging. Battery charge current is automatically reduced such that the sum of the load current and the charge current does not exceed the programmed input current limit. The LTC4089-3 also accommodates high voltage power supplies, such as 12V AC/DC wall adapters, Firewire, or automotive power.
The LTC4089-3 provides an adaptive output that tracks the battery voltage for high efficiency charging from the high voltage input. This 3.95V version of the the standard LTC4089 is intended for applications which have extended battery lifetime requirements or those that require high temperature (approximately >60°C) operation or storage. Under these conditions, a reduced float voltage will trade-off initial cell capacity for the benefit of increased capacity retention over the life of the battery. The charge current is programmable and an end-of-charge status output (CHRG) indicates full charge. Also featured are programmable total charge time, an NTC thermistor input used to monitor battery temperature while charging and automatic recharging of the battery.
|Part Number||Float Voltage||NTC Hot Threshold||Bat-Track HV Output|
- Portable USB Devices—GPS Receivers, Cameras,MP3 Players, PDAs
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.