Features and Benefits
- Standalone Li-Ion Charger with Termination
- Programmable Termination Timer
- No Sense Resistor or Blocking Diode Required
- Suitable for USB-Powered Charging
- Undervoltage Charge Current Limiting
- Preset Charge Voltage with ±0.6% Accuracy
- Programmable Charge Current: 200mA to 700mA
- Automatic Recharge with Shortened Charge Cycle
- Self-Protection for Overcurrent/Overtemperature
- 40µA Supply Current in Shutdown Mode
- Negligible Battery Drain Current in Shutdown
- Low Battery Charge Conditioning (Trickle Charging)
- CHRG Status Output including AC Present
- PCB Total Solution Area only 75mm² (700mA)
- Low Profile (1mm) SOT-23 Package
The LTC4056 is a low cost, single-cell, constant-current/ constant-voltage Li-Ion battery charger controller with a programmable termination timer. When combined with a few external components, the LTC4056 forms a very small standalone charger for single cell lithium-ion batteries.
Charge current and charge time are set externally with a single resistor and capacitor, respectively. The LTC4056 charges to a final float voltage accurate to ±0.6%. Manual shutdown is accomplished by grounding the TIMER/ SHDN pin, while removing input power automatically puts the LTC4056 into a sleep mode. Both the shutdown and sleep modes drain near zero current from the battery; the shutdown mode reduces supply current to 40µA.
The output driver is both current limited and thermally protected to prevent operating outside of safe limits. No external blocking diode or sense resistor is required. The LTC4056 also includes low battery charge conditioning (trickle charging), undervoltage charge current limiting, automatic recharge and a charge status output.
The LTC4056 is available in a low profile (1mm) 8-lead SOT-23 (ThinSOT™) package.
- Cellular Telephones
- Handheld Computers
- Digital Cameras
- Charging Docks and Cradles
- Low Cost and Small Size Chargers
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.