Features and Benefits
- 2.5A Step-Down Supercapacitor Charger and 2.5A Step-Up Backup Supply
- 6.5A Switches for 2.5A Backup from One Supercapacitor or Two in Series
- Input Current Limit Prioritizes Load over Charge Current
- Input Disconnect Switch Isolates Input During Backup
- Automatic Seamless Switch-Over to Backup Mode
- Internal Supercapacitor Balancer (No External Resistors)
- Programmable Charge Current and Charge Voltage
- Input Power Fail Indicator
- System Power Good Indicator
- Optional OVP Circuitry Protects Device to >60V
- Constant Frequency Operation
- Thermally Enhanced 24-Lead 4mm × 5mm QFN Package
The LTC4041 is a complete supercapacitor backup system for 2.9V to 5.5V supply rails. It contains a high current step-down DC/DC converter to charge a single supercapacitor or two supercapacitors in series. When input power is unavailable, the step-down regulator operates in reverse as a step-up regulator to backup the system output from the supercapacitor(s).
The LTC4041’s adjustable input current limit function reduces charge current to protect the input supply from overload while an external disconnect switch isolates the input supply during backup. When the input supply drops below the adjustable PFI threshold, the 2.5A boost regulator delivers power from the supercapacitor to the system output.
An optional input overvoltage protection (OVP) circuit protects the LTC4041 from high voltage damage at the VIN pin. An internal supercapacitor balancing circuit maintains equal voltages across each supercapacitor and limits the maximum voltage of each supercapacitor to a pre-determined value. The LTC4041 is available in a low profile (0.75mm) 24-Lead 4mm × 5mm QFN package.
- Ride-Through “Dying Gasp” Supplies
- High Current Ride-Through 3V to 5V UPS
- Power Meters/Industrial Alarms
- Servers/Solid State Drives
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Demonstration circuit 2642A shows the LTC4041 supercapacitor backup power manager operating with either a stack of two series supercapacitors (DC2642A-A) or a single supercapacitor (DC2642A-B). The board demonstrates the design of a 5V rail with a short-term power backup using 10F supercapacitors.
The input current limit, charge current limit, charge voltage, power fail threshold, and boost voltage are all configurable through changing resistor values on the board. Test points for all monitoring pins and LED indicators on status pins are also available to assist in the evaluation.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.