Features and Benefits
- Wide Input Supply Range:
- 4.7V to 22V – 4.2 Version
- 8.9V to 22V – 8.4 Version
- High Efficiency Current Mode PWM Controller with
500kHz Switching Frequency
- ±1% Charge Voltage Accuracy
- End-of-Charge Current Detection Output
- 3 Hour Charge Termination Timer
- Constant Switching Frequency for Minimum Noise
- ±5% Charge Current Accuracy
- Low 10µA Reverse Battery Drain Current
- Automatic Battery Recharge
- Automatic Shutdown When Input Supply is Removed
- Automatic Trickle Charging of Low Voltage Batteries
- Battery Temperature Sensing and Charge
- Stable with Ceramic Output Capacitor
- 8-Lead SO and 10-Lead DFN Packages
The LTC4002 is a complete battery charger controller for one (4.2V) or two (8.4V) cell lithium-ion batteries. With a 500kHz switching frequency, the LTC4002 provides a small, simple and efficient solution to fast charge Li-Ion batteries from a wide range of supply voltages. An external sense resistor sets the charge current with ±5% accuracy. An internal resistor divider and precision reference set the final float voltage to 4.2V per cell with ±1% accuracy.
When the input supply is removed, the LTC4002 automatically enters a low current sleep mode, dropping the battery drain current to 10µA. An internal comparator detects the near end-of-charge condition while an internal timer sets the total charge time and terminates the charge cycle. After the charge cycle ends, if the battery voltage drops below 4.05V per cell, a new charge cycle will automatically begin.
The LTC4002 is available in the 8-lead SO and 10-lead DFN packages.
- Portable Computers
- Charging Docks
- Handheld Instruments
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (2)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.