Features and Benefits
- Low Operating IQ: 170μA (One Channel On)
- Wide Output Voltage Range: 0.8V ≤ VOUT ≤ 14V
- Wide VIN Range: 4V to 24V
- RSENSE or DCR Current Sensing
- Out-of-Phase Controllers Reduce Required Input Capacitance and Power Supply Induced Noise
- OPTI-LOOP® Compensation Minimizes COUT
- Phase-Lockable Frequency (75kHz to 850kHz)
- Programmable Fixed Frequency (50kHz to 900kHz)
- Selectable Continuous, Pulse-Skipping or Burst Mode® Operation at Light Loads
- Very Low Dropout Operation: 99% Duty Cycle
- Adjustable Output Voltage Soft-Start
- Power Good Output Voltage Monitor
- Output Overvoltage Protection
- Output Latchoff Protection During Short Circuit
- Low Shutdown IQ: 8μA
- Internal LDO Powers Gate Drive from VIN or EXTVCC
- No Current Foldback During Start-Up
- Small 4mm × 5mm QFN and Narrow SSOP Packages
The LTC3868-1 is a high performance dual step-down switching regulator controller that drives all N-channel synchronous power MOSFET stages. A constant frequency current mode architecture allows a phase-lockable frequency of up to 850kHz. Power loss and noise due to the input capacitor ESR are minimized by operating the two controller outputs out of phase.
The 170μA no-load quiescent current extends operating life in battery powered systems. OPTI-LOOP compensation allows the transient response to be optimized over a wide range of output capacitance and ESR values. The LTC3868-1 features a precision 0.8V reference and a power good output indicator. A wide 4V to 24V input supply range encompasses a wide range of intermediate bus voltages and battery chemistries.
Independent soft-start pins for each controller ramp the output voltages during start-up. Current foldback limits MOSFET heat dissipation during short-circuit conditions. The output short-circuit latchoff feature further protects the circuit in short-circuit conditions.
For a leadless 32-pin QFN package with the additional features of adjustable current limit, clock out, phase modulation and two PGOOD outputs, see the LTC3868 data sheet.
|Features||Adjustable Current Limit, Clock Out Pin, Phase Modulation, Two PGOOD||Fixed Current Limit, One PGOOD|
- Notebook and Palmtop Computers
- Portable Instruments
- Battery Operated Digital Devices
- Distributed DC Power Systems
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
LTpowerCAD® is a power supply design program which selects power stage components, provides detailed power efficiency, shows quick loop Bode plot stability and load transient analysis, and can export to LTspice for simulation.
Design tools for the following parts are available in LTpowerCAD:
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.