Features and Benefits
- 5.7 kV rms, signal isolated RS-485/RS-422 transceiver
- Low radiated emissions, passes EN55032 Class B with margin on a 2-layer PCB
- Cable inversion smart feature
- Correction for reversed cable connection on A, B, Y, and Z bus pins while maintaining full receiver fail-safe
- ESD protection on the RS-485 A, B, Y, and Z bus pins
- ≥±12 kV IEC61000-4-2 contact discharge
- ≥±15 kV IEC61000-4-2 air discharge
- Low speed 500 kbps data rate for EMI control
- Flexible power supply inputs
- Primary VDD1 supply of 1.7 V to 5.5 V
- Isolated VDD2 supply of 3.0 V to 5.5 V
- Profibus® compliant for 5 V VDD2
- Wide −40°C to +125°C operating temperature range
- High common-mode transient immunity: >250 kV/μs
- Short-circuit, open-circuit, and floating input receiver fail-safe
- Supports 192 bus nodes (72 kΩ receiver input impedance)
- Full hot swap support (glitch free power-up and power-down)
- Safety and regulatory approvals (pending)
- CSA Component Acceptance Notice 5A, DIN V VDE V 0884-11,
- UL 1577, CQC11-471543-2012, IEC 61010-1
- 16-lead, wide body, SOIC_W package with >8.0 mm creepage and clearance in standard pinout
The ADM2461E/ADM2463E are 500 kbps, 5.7 kV rms, signal isolated RS-485 transceivers that pass radiated emissions testing to the EN55032 Class B standard with margin on a 2-layer printed circuit board (PCB). The ADM2461E/ADM2463E isolation barrier provides robust immunity to noise and system level EMC events. The devices are protected against ≥±12 kV contact and ≥ ±15 kV air IEC61000-4-2 electrostatic discharge (ESD) events on the RS-485 A, B, Y, and Z pins. The devices feature cable invert pins to allow quick correction of the reversed cable connection on the A, B, Y, and Z bus pins while maintaining full receiver fail-safe performance.
These devices are optimized for low speed over long cable runs and have a maximum data rate of 500 kbps. The high differential output voltage makes these devices suitable for Profibus nodes when powered with 5 V on the VDD2 supply. The VDD1 primary supply and VDD2 isolated supply both support a wide range of voltages (1.7 V to 5.5 V and 3 V to 5.5 V, respectively). Half-duplex and full duplex device options are available in the industry standard 16-lead, wide-body, standard SOIC_W package with >8.0 mm creepage and clearance.
- Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) networks
- Industrial field buses
- Building automation
- Utility networks
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-ADM2461EEBZ allows for the simplified, efficient evaluation of the ADM2461E 500 kbps, 5.7 kV rms, signal isolated, half-duplex, RS-485 transceiver.
The EVAL-ADM2461EEBZ comes with options for the evaluation of the ADM2461E in an individual system. Digital and RS-485 bus signals are easily accessible via the screw terminal blocks on the EVAL-ADM2461EEBZ. Each digital input can be configured via the on-board jumper options.
Two on-board ADP7104 low dropout (LDO) regulators accept an input voltage up to 20 V and output a range of selectable supply voltages to the VDD1 pin and VDD2 pin, which are configurable via jumper options. The LDO regulators can be bypassed to power the ADM2461E VDD1 supply pin and VDD2 supply pin directly from an external power supply.
The flexible VDD1 pin primary side logic supply allows the device to operate with a digital input/output (I/O) voltage of 1.7 V to 5.5 V, which enables communication with modern nodes using either a 1.8 V or 2.5 V power supply. The VDD1 pin can also be supplied from the ADP7104 regulated supply.
Alternative methods can be used to provide the transmit data input (TxD) signal to the ADM2461E. An optional LTC1799 oscillator is included on the EVAL-ADM2461EEBZ and can be configured to provide a clock signal as the TxD digital input within a 10 kHz to 250 kHz range. A terminal block allows an easy wired connection to a microcontroller or processor. For optimal signal integrity, use the on-board Subminiature Version A (SMA) connector to connect an external data signal.
The EVAL-ADM2461EEBZ has a footprint for the ADM2461E isolated, half-duplex RS-485 transceiver in a 10.10 mm × 10.65 mm, 16-lead, standard small outline, wide body (SOIC_W) package.
For full details on the ADM2461E, see the ADM2461E data sheet, which must be consulted in conjunction with this user guide when using the EVAL-ADM2461EEBZ.
Features & Benefits
- Simplified evaluation of the ADM2461E signal isolated 500 kbps half-duplex RS-485 transceiver
- 2-layer PCB compliant with EN 55032 Class B radiated emissions
- Footprint for standard half-duplex, 16-lead, SOIC_W package with 8.0 mm creepage and clearance
- 2 on-board ADP7104 LDO regulators with jumper options for simplified evaluation in multiple supply configurations
- Jumper options to utilize flexible, VDD1 low voltage supply rail for interfacing with I/O nodes as low as 1.7 V
- SMA connector for TxD input signal
- Optional on-board LTC1799 oscillator for providing TxD signal
- Screw terminal blocks for connecting power, digital, and RS-485 signals
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.