Features and Benefits
- Allows safe board insertion and removal from a live backplane
- Controls supply voltages from 3.15 V to 16.5 V
- Precision current sense amplifier
- Precision voltage input
- 12-bit ADC for current and voltage readback
- Charge pumped gate drive for external N-channel FET
- Active high ON pin
- 10-lead MSOP
- Adjustable analog current limit with circuit breaker
- ±3% accurate hot swap current limit level
- Fast response limits peak fault current
- Automatic retry or latch-off on current fault
- Programmable hot swap timing via TIMER pin
- Soft start pin for reference adjustment and programming of initial current ramp rate
- I2C fast mode-compliant interface (400 kHz maximum)
The ADM1177 is an integrated hot swap controller that offers digital current and voltage monitoring via an on-chip, 12-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC), communicated through an I2C interface.
An internal current sense amplifier senses voltage across the sense resistor in the power path via the VCC pin and the SENSE pin.
The ADM1177 limits the current through this resistor by control-ling the gate voltage of an external N-channel FET in the power path, via the GATE pin. The sense voltage (and, therefore, the inrush current) is kept below a preset maximum.
The ADM1177 protects the external FET by limiting the time that it spends with maximum current running through it. This current limit period is set by the choice of capacitor attached to the TIMER pin. Additionally, the device provides protection from overcurrent events that may occur once the hot swap event is complete. In the case of a short-circuit event, the current in the sense resistor exceeds an overcurrent trip threshold, and the FET is switched off immediately by pulling down the GATE pin.
A soft start (SS) pin is also included. This gives the user control over the reference on the current sense amplifier. An internal current source charges a capacitor on this pin at startup, allowing the user to set the profile of the initial current ramp. A voltage can also be driven on this pin to alter the reference.
A 12-bit ADC can measure the current seen in the sense resistor, as well as the supply voltage on the VCC pin. An industry-standard I2C interface allows a controller to read current and voltage data from the ADC. Measurements can be initiated by an I2C command. Alternatively, the ADC can run continuously, and the user can read the latest conversion data whenever it is required. Up to four unique I2C addresses can be created, depending on the way the ADR pin is connected.
The ADM1177 is packaged in a 10-lead MSOP.
- Power monitoring/power budgeting
- Central office equipment
- Telecommunication and data communication equipment
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (2)
This page contains evaluation board documentation and ordering information for evaluating this product.
The Quad-MxFE System Development Platform contains four MxFE® software defined, direct RF sampling transceivers, as well as associated RF front-ends, clocking, and power circuitry. The target application is phased array radars, electronic warfare, and ground-based SATCOM, specifically a 16 transmit/16 receive channel direct sampling phased array at L/S/C band (0.1 GHz to ~5GHz). The Rx & Tx RF front-end has drop-in configurations that allow for customized frequency ranges, depending on the user’s application.
The Quad-MxFE System Development Platform highlights a complete system solution. It is intended as a testbed for demonstrating multi-chip synchronization as well as the implementation of system level calibrations, beamforming algorithms, and other signal processing algorithms. The system is designed to mate with a VCU118 Evaluation Board from Xilinx®, which features the Virtex® UltraScale+™ XCVU9P FPGA, with provided reference software, HDL code, and MATLAB system-level interfacing.
In addition to the Quad-MxFE Digitizing Card, the kit also contains a 16Tx / 16Rx Calibration Board that is used to develop system-level calibration algorithms, or otherwise more easily demonstrate power-up phase determinism in situations pertinent to their own use case. The Calibration Board also allows the user to demonstrate combined-channel dynamic range, spurious, and phase noise improvements and can also be controlled via a free MATLAB add-on when connected to the PMOD interface of the VCU118.
The system can be used to enable quick time-to-market development programs for applications like:
- ADEF (Phased-Array, RADAR, EW, SATCOM)
- Communications Infrastructure (Multiband 5G and mmWave 5G)
- Electronic Test and Measurement
Features & BenefitsQuad-MxFE Digitizing Card
- Multi-Channel, Wideband System Development Platform Using MxFE
- Mates With Xilinx VCU118 Evaluation Board (Not Included)
- 16x RF Receive (Rx) Channels (32x Digital Rx Channels)
- Total 16x 1.5GSPS to 4GSPS ADC
- 48x Digital Down Converters (DDCs), Each Including Complex Numerically-Controlled Oscillators (NCOs)
- 16x Programmable Finite Impulse Response Filters (pFIRs)
- 16x RF Transmit (Tx) Channels (32x Digital Tx Channels)
- Total 16x 3GSPS to 12GSPS DAC
- 48x Digital Up Converters (DUCs) , Each Including Complex Numerically-Controlled Oscillators (NCOs)
- Flexible Rx & Tx RF Front-Ends
- Rx: Filtering, Amplification, Digital Step Attenuation for Gain Control
- Tx: Filtering, Amplification
- On-Board Power Regulation from Single 12V Power Adapter (Included)
- Flexible Clock Distribution
- On-Board Clock Distribution from Single External 500MHz Reference
- Support for External Converter Clock per MxFE
- Mates to Quad-MxFE Digitizing Card & VCU118 PMOD Interface (Cable Included)
- Provides Both Individual Adjacent Channel Loopback and Combined Channel Loopback Options
- Combined Tx Channels Out Via SMA Option
- Combined Rx Channels In Via SMA Option
- On-Board Log Power Detectors With AD5592R Output To VCU118 Over PMOD
- On-Board Power Regulation from Single 12V Power Adapter (Included)
Easy Control Tools and Platform Interfaces to Simplify Software Framework Developments:
- IIO Oscilloscope GUI
- MATLAB Add-Ons & Example Scripts
- Example HDL Builds including JESD204b/JESD204c Bring-Up
- Embedded Software Solutions for Linux and Device Drivers
- MATLAB System Applications GUI
- Multi-Chip Synchronization for Power-Up Phase Determinism
- System-Level Amplitude/Phase Alignment Using NCOs
- Low-Latency ADC-to-DAC Loopback Bypassing JESD Interface
- pFIR Control for Broadband Channel-to-Channel Amplitude/Phase Alignment
- Fast-Frequency Hopping
- Calibration Board MATLAB Driver File
- FPGA Programming MATLAB Script
Software & Systems Requirements
ADM1175-78 & ADM1191-92 Evaluation Software
ADMxxxx Common Run-Time
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.