High Voltage, Fractional-N / Integer-N PLL Synthesizer
Features and Benefits
- Fractional-N synthesizer and integer N synthesizer
- High voltage charge pump: VP = 6.0 V to 30 V
- Radio frequency (RF) bandwidth to 5.0 GHz
- Programmable output divider
- Synthesizer power supply: 3.0 V to 3.6 V
- Programmable dual-modulus prescaler
- Programmable output power level
- Programmable charge pump currents
- RF output mute function
- 3-wire serial interface
- Analog and digital lock detect
The ADF4152HV is a 5.0 GHz, fractional-N or integer N frequency synthesizer with an integrated high voltage charge pump. The synthesizer can drive external wideband voltage controlled oscillators (VCOs) directly, eliminating the need for operational amplifiers to achieve higher tuning voltages. The integrated high voltage charge pump simplifies design and reduces cost while improving phase noise, in contrast to active filter topologies, which tend to degrade phase noise compared to passive filter topologies.
The VCO frequency can be divided by 1, 2, 4, 8, or 16 to allow the user to generate RF output frequencies as low as 31.25 MHz. For applications that require isolation, the RF output stage can be muted. The mute function is both pin and software controllable.
A simple 3-wire interface controls all on-chip registers. The charge pump operates from a power supply ranging from 6.0 V to 30 V, whereas the rest of the device operates from 3.0 V to 3.6 V. The ADF4152HV can be powered down when not in use.
- Wireless infrastructure
- Microwave point to point/point to multipoint radios
- Very small aperture terminal (VSAT) radios
- Test equipment
- Private land mobile radios
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
This board is designed to allow the user to evaluate the perfor-mance of the ADF4152HV frequency synthesizer for phase-locked loops (PLLs). Figure 1 shows the board, which contains the ADF4152HV synthesizer, loop filter, voltage controlled oscillator (VCO) of 1 GHz to 2 GHz octave range and up to 28 V high tuning voltage, reference temperature controlled crystal oscillator (TCXO) of 25 MHz frequency for the reference input, power supply connectors, and a radio frequency (RF) output. The ADF5001 prescaler allows optional direct connection of external microwave VCOs without the need for an active loop filter.
The evaluation kit also contains software that is compatible with Windows® XP and later versions to allow easy programming of the synthesizer. The PC must have a USB port to program the device.
Features & Benefits
- General-purpose evaluation board for the ADF4152HV, including octave range VCO, loop filter, and TCXO
- Contains the ADF4152HV frequency synthesizer (500 MHz to 5 GHz
- Contains the ADF5001 prescaler to allow optional connection of external microwave VCOs without the need for an active loop filter
- Accompanying software allows complete control of synthesizer functions from a PC
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.