Features and Benefits
- 300 MHz internal clock rate
- FSK, BPSK, PSK, chirp, AM operation
- Dual integrated 12-bit digital-to-analog converters (DACs)
- Ultrahigh speed comparator, 3 ps rms jitter
- Excellent dynamic performance
- 80 dB SFDR at 100 MHz (±1 MHz) AOUT
- 4× to 20× programmable reference clock multiplier
- Dual 48-bit programmable frequency registers
- Dual 14-bit programmable phase offset registers
- 12-bit programmable amplitude modulation and on/off output shaped keying function
- Single-pin FSK and BPSK data interfaces
- PSK capability via input/output interface
- Linear or nonlinear FM chirp functions with single-pin frequency hold function
- Frequency-ramped FSK
- <25 ps rms total jitter in clock generator mode
- Automatic bidirectional frequency sweeping
- Sin(x)/x correction
- Simplified control interfaces
- 10 MHz serial 2- or 3-wire SPI compatible
- 100 MHz parallel 8-bit programming
- 3.3 V single supply
- Multiple power-down functions
- Single-ended or differential input reference clock
- Small, 80-lead LQFP or TQFP with exposed pad
The AD9854 digital synthesizer is a highly integrated device that uses advanced DDS technology, coupled with two internal high speed, high performance quadrature DACs to form a digitally programmable I and Q synthesizer function. When referenced to an accurate clock source, the AD9854 generates highly stable, frequency-phase, amplitude-programmable sine and cosine outputs that can be used as an agile LO in communications, radar, and many other applications. The innovative high speed DDS core of the AD9854 provides 48-bit frequency resolution (1 μHz tuning resolution with 300 MHz SYSCLK). Retaining 16 bits for phase-to-amplitude conversion ensures excellent spurious-free dynamic range (SFDR).
The circuit architecture of the AD9854 allows the generation of simultaneous quadrature output signals at frequencies up to 150 MHz, which can be digitally tuned at a rate of up to 100 million new frequencies per second. The sine wave output (externally filtered) can be converted to a square wave by the internal comparator for agile clock generator applications. The device provides two 14-bit phase registers and a single pin for BPSK operation.
For higher-order PSK operation, the I/O interface can be used for phase changes. The 12-bit I and Q DACs, coupled with the innovative DDS architecture, provide excellent wideband and narrow-band output SFDR. The Q DAC can also be configured as a user-programmable control DAC if the quadrature function is not desired. When configured with the comparator, the 12-bit control DAC facilitates static duty cycle control in high speed clock generator applications.
Two 12-bit digital multipliers permit programmable amplitude modulation, on/off output shaped keying, and precise amplitude control of the quadrature output. Chirp functionality is also included to facilitate wide bandwidth frequency sweeping applications. The programmable 4× to 20× REFCLK multiplier circuit of the AD9854 internally generates the 300 MHz system clock from an external lower frequency reference clock. This saves the user the expense and difficulty of implementing a 300 MHz system clock source.
Direct 300 MHz clocking is also accommodated with either single-ended or differential inputs. Single-pin conventional FSK and the enhanced spectral qualities of ramped FSK are supported. The AD9854 uses advanced 0.35 µm CMOS technology to provide a high level of functionality on a single 3.3 V supply.
The AD9854 is pin-for-pin compatible with the AD9852 single-tone synthesizer. It is specified to operate over the extended industrial temperature range of −40°C to +85°C.
- Agile, quadrature LO frequency synthesis
- Programmable clock generators
- FM chirp source for radar and scanning systems
- Test and measurement equipment
- Commercial and amateur RF exciters
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Application Notes (22)
Tools & Simulations
ADIsimDDS uses mathematical equations to model and illustrate the overall performance of the selected device. ADIsimDDS calculates the required FTW, given the reference clock frequency and desired output frequency. This tool also models an estimate of the overall spectral performance, and allows the user to explore the effects of external reconstruction filters.
Technical Articles (22)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.