Features and Benefits
- JESD204B Subclass 0 or Subclass 1 coded serial digital outputs
- Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) = 70.6 dBFS at 185 MHz AIN and 250 MSPS
- Spurious-free dynamic range (SFDR) = 88 dBc at 185 MHz AIN and 250 MSPS
- Total power consumption: 434 mW at 250 MSPS
- 1.8 V supply voltages
- Integer 1-to-8 input clock divider
- Sample rates of up to 250 MSPS
- Intermediate frequency (IF) sampling frequencies of up to 400 MHz
- Internal analog-to-digital converter (ADC) voltage reference
- Flexible analog input range: 1.4 V p-p to 2.0 V p-p (1.75 V p-p nominal)
- ADC clock duty cycle stabilizer (DCS)
- Serial port control
- Energy saving power-down modes
The AD9683 is a 14-bit ADC with sampling speeds of up to 250 MSPS. The AD9683 supports communications applications where low cost, small size, wide bandwidth, and versatility are desired. The ADC core features a multistage, differential pipelined architecture with integrated output error correction logic. The ADC core features wide bandwidth inputs supporting a variety of user-selectable input ranges. An integrated voltage reference eases design considerations. A duty cycle stabilizer (DCS) is provided to compensate for variations in the ADC clock duty cycle, allowing the converter to maintain excellent performance. The JESD204B high speed serial interface reduces board routing requirements and lowers pin count requirements for the receiving device. The ADC output data is routed directly to the JESD204B serial output lane. These outputs are at CML voltage levels. Data can be sent through the lane at the maximum sampling rate of 250 MSPS, which results in a lane rate of 5 Gbps. Synchronization inputs (SYNCINB± and SYSREF±) are provided. Flexible power-down options allow significant power savings, when desired. Programmable overrange level detection is supported via the dedicated fast detect pins. Programming for setup and control is accomplished using a 3-wire SPI-compatible serial interface. The AD9683 is available in a 32-lead LFCSP and is specified over the industrial temperature range of −40°C to +85°C.
- Integrated 14-bit, 170 MSPS/250 MSPS ADC.
- The configurable JESD204B output block supports lane rates up to 5 Gbps.
- An on-chip, phase-locked loop (PLL) allows users to provide a single ADC sampling clock; the PLL multiplies the ADC sampling clock to produce the corresponding JESD204B data rate clock.
- Support for an optional radio frequency (RF) clock input to ease system board design.
- Proprietary differential input maintains excellent SNR performance for input frequencies of up to 400 MHz.
- Operation from a single 1.8 V power supply.
- Standard serial port interface (SPI) that supports various product features and functions, such as controlling the clock DCS, power-down, test modes, voltage reference mode, overrange fast detection, and serial output configuration.
- Diversity radio systems
- Multimode digital receivers (3G)
TD-SCDMA, WiMAX, W-CDMA, CDMA2000, GSM, EDGE, LTE
- DOCSIS 3.0 CMTS upstream receive paths
- HFC digital reverse path receivers
- Smart antenna systems
- Electronic test and measurement equipment
- Radar receivers
- COMSEC radio architectures
- IED detection/jamming systems
- General-purpose software radios
- Broadband data applications
- Ultrasound equipment
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Documentation & Resources
AN-905: VisualAnalog™ Converter Evaluation Tool Version 1.0 User Manual8/18/2020
AN-878: High Speed ADC SPI Control Software (Rev. A)3/20/2018
AN-835: Understanding High Speed ADC Testing and Evaluation (Rev. B)5/12/2015
AN-501: Aperture Uncertainty and ADC System Performance (Rev. A)2/14/2015
AN-282: Fundamentals of Sampled Data Systems2/14/2015
AN-827: A Resonant Approach to Interfacing Amplifiers to Switched-Capacitor ADCs (Rev. 0)2/14/2015
AN-935: Designing an ADC Transformer-Coupled Front End (Rev. 0)2/14/2015
AN-742: Frequency Domain Response of Switched-Capacitor ADCs (Rev. C)2/14/2015
AN-345: Grounding for Low-and-High-Frequency Circuits2/14/2015
AN-1142: Techniques for High Speed ADC PCB Layout (Rev. 0)2/2/2012
AN-737: How ADIsimADC Models an ADC (Rev. B)11/9/2007
AN-807: Multicarrier WCDMA Feasibility (Rev. 0)11/9/2007
AN-877: Interfacing to High Speed ADCs via SPI (Rev. B)11/9/2007
AN-851: A WiMax Double Downconversion IF Sampling Receiver Design (Rev. 0)7/26/2006
AN-741: Little Known Characteristics of Phase Noise (Rev. 0)11/29/2004
JESD204 Serial Interface2/14/2015
Software & Systems Requirements
JESD204 Interface Framework
Tools & Simulations
AD9683 IBIS Model
This command line executable tool generates a Verilog module which implements the JESD204 receive transport layer. The user specifies in a configuration file one or more modes to be supported by the transport layer module. These modes are defined as a set of JESD204 parameter values: L, M, F, S, N', and CF. The transport layer converts JESD204 lane data output from a JESD204 link layer IP to a data bus with a fixed width, containing interleaved virtual converter samples. Both JESD204B and JESD204C link layers are supported.
The JESD204x Frame Mapping Table Generator tool consists of two Windows executables that will allow the user to input any valid combination of JESD204x parameters (L, M, F, S, NP) in order to output a .csv file that illustrates the frame mapping of the JESD204x mode in table format. There is an executable that allows the user to input a single JESD204x mode and another, that allows the user to input the parameters for multiple JESD204x modes in a specified .csv format in order to output a .csv file that illustrates the frame mapping of each of the JESD204x modes that were input into separate tables.
For designers who are selecting or evaluating high speed ADCs, VisualAnalog™ is a software package that combines a powerful set of simulation and data analysis tools with a user-friendly graphical interface.
ADIsimRF is an easy-to-use RF signal chain calculator. Cascaded gain, noise, distortion and power consumption can be calculated, plotted and exported for signal chains with up to 50 stages. ADIsimRF also includes an extensive data base of device models for ADI’s RF and mixed signal components.
AD9683 Companion Parts
Recommended Driver Amplifiers
- For a fully differential input and output DVGA in digital communications systems: ADL5201, AD8375.
- For differential RF/IF: ADL5562.
- For DC-coupled inputs: ADA4927-1, ADA4938-1.
Recommended Clock Drivers
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.