Features and Benefits
- Low phase noise, phase-locked loop
On-chip VCO tunes from 1.45 GHz to 1.80 GHz
- External VCO/VCXO to 2.4 GHz optional
- 1 differential or 2 single-ended reference inputs
- Reference monitoring capability
- 2 pairs of 1.6 GHz LVPECL outputs
Each output pair shares a 1-to-32 divider with coarse phase delay
Additive output jitter: 225 fs rms
Channel-to-channel skew paired outputs of <10 ps
- 2 pairs of 800 MHz LVDS clock outputs
Each output pair shares two cascaded 1-to-32 dividers with coarse phase delay
Additive output jitter: 275 fs rms
Fine delay adjust (Δt) on each LVDS output
- Each LVDS output can be reconfigured as two 250 MHz CMOS outputs
- Automatic synchronization of all outputs on power-up
- See datasheet for additional features
The AD9517-4 provides a multi-output clock distribution function with subpicosecond jitter performance, along with an on-chip PLL and VCO. The on-chip VCO tunes from 1.45 GHz to 1.80 GHz. Optionally, an external VCO/VCXO of up to 2.4 GHz can be used.
The AD9517-4 emphasizes low jitter and phase noise to maximize data converter performance, and it can benefit other applications with demanding phase noise and jitter requirements.
The AD9517-4 features four LVPECL outputs (in two pairs) and four LVDS outputs (in two pairs). Each LVDS output can be reconfigured as two CMOS outputs. The LVPECL outputs operate to 1.6 GHz, the LVDS outputs operate to 800 MHz, and the CMOS outputs operate to 250 MHz.
For applications that require additional outputs, a crystal reference input, zero-delay, or EEPROM for automatic configuration at startup, the AD9520 and AD9522 are available. In addition, the AD9516 and AD9518 are similar to the AD9517 but have a different combination of outputs.
Each pair of outputs has dividers that allow both the divide ratio and coarse delay (or phase) to be set. The range of division for the LVPECL outputs is 1 to 32. The LVDS/CMOS outputs allow a range of divisions up to a maximum of 1024.
The AD9517-4 is available in a 48-lead LFCSP and can be operated from a single 3.3 V supply. An external VCO, which requires an extended voltage range, can be accommodated by connecting the charge pump supply (VCP) to 5 V. A separate LVPECL power supply can be from 2.5 V to 3.3 V (nominal).
The AD9517-4 is specified for operation over the industrial range of −40°C to +85°C.
- Low jitter, low phase noise clock distribution
- 10/40/100 Gb/sec networking line cards, including SONET, Synchronous Ethernet, OTU2/3/4
- Forward error correction (G.710)
- Clocking high speed ADCs, DACs, DDSs, DDCs, DUCs, MxFEs
- High performance wireless transceivers
- ATE and high performance instrumentation
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (2)
The AD9516-x, AD9517-x, and AD9518-x are very low noise PLL clock synthesizers featuring an integrated VCO, clock dividers, and up to 14 outputs. The AD9516 features automatic holdover and a flexible reference input circuit allowing for very smooth reference clock switching. The AD9516 family also features the necessary provisions for an external VCXO.
The AD9516 evaluation board is a compact, easy-to-use platform for evaluating all features of the AD9516. The AD9516, AD9517, and AD9518 differ only in package size, and the number of outputs. The evaluation software main window for the AD9517 and AD9518 reflects fewer outputs, but the operation is identical for all devices.
Use the user guide in conjunction with the AD9516, AD9517, and AD9518 data sheets.
Features & Benefits
- Simple power connection using 6 V wall adapter and on-board LDO voltage regulators
- LDOs are easily bypassed for power measurements
- 8 ac-coupled differential LVPECL SMA connectors
- 2 ac-coupled LVPECL differential headers
- 2 dc-coupled differential LVDS SMA connectors that are reconfigurable to four CMOS SMA connectors
- 2 dc-coupled LVDS differential headers that are reconfigurable to four CMOS connectors
- SMA connectors for
2 reference inputs
Charge pump output
Clock distribution input
- USB connection to PC
- Microsoft Windows-based evaluation software with simple graphical user interface
- On-board PLL loop filter
- Easy access to digital I/O and diagnostic signals via I/O header
- Status LEDs for diagnostic signals
The AD-FMCOMMS6-EBZ eval board is a 400MHz to 4.4GHz receiver based on the AD9652 dual 16bit analog to digital converter, the ADL5566 High Dynamic Range RF/IF Dual Differential Amplifier and the ADL5380 quadrature demodulator.
This is an I and Q demodulation approach to direct convert (also known as a homodyne or zero IF) receiver architecture. Direct conversion radios perform just one frequency translation compared to a super-heterodyne receiver that can perform several frequency translations. One frequency translation is advantageous because it:
- Reduces receiver complexity and the number of stages needed, increasing performance and reducing power consumption
- Avoids image rejection issues and unwanted mixing
This topology will provide image rejection and early implementation of the differential signal environment. There is an amplification stage to maintain the full-scale input to the ACD. The local oscillator and ADC clock are on board and share the same reference signal prevent smearing. The form factor is VITA57 compliant and all of the DC power is routed from the data capture board through an FMC connector. This evaluation board demonstrates a high performance receiver signal chain aimed at military and commercial radar using “commercial off the shelf” (COTS) components. The overall circuit has a bandwidth of 220MHz with a pass band flatness of +/_ 1.0 dB. The SNR and SFDR measured at an IF of 145MHz are 64dB and 75dBc, respectively.
Application Notes (12)
Tools & Simulations
AD9517-x IBIS Models
ADIsimCLK is the design tool developed specifically for Analog Devices' range of ultra-low jitter clock distribution and clock generation products. Whether your application is in wireless infrastructure, instrumentation, networking, broadband, ATE or other areas demanding predictable clock performance, ADIsimCLK will enable you to rapidly develop, evaluate and optimize your design.
Reference Designs (1)
CN0140High Performance, Dual Channel IF Sampling Receiver
CN0140High Performance, Dual Channel IF Sampling Receiver
Features & Benefits
- Downconverts RF frequencies to baseband
- Utilizes dual channels for IQ demodulation
- Excellent SFDR when opperating at high gain and high frequency
Product Selection Guide (1)
Circuit Note (1)
Technical Articles (6)
Rarely Asked Questions (12)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.