Features and Benefits
- Fast throughput rate: 1 MSPS
- Specified for AVDD of 2.7 V to
- Low Power:
6.0 mW max at 1 MSPS with 3 V supply
13.5 mW max at 1 MSPS with 5 V supply
- Eight (single-ended) inputs with sequencer
- Wide input bandwidth: AD7928,
70 dB min SINAD at 50 kHz input frequency
- Flexible power/serial clock speed management
- No pipeline delays
- High speed serial interface SPI®/QSPI™/MICROWIRE™/DSP compatible
Product DetailsThe AD7908/AD7918/AD7928 are, respectively, 8-bit, 10-bit, and 12-bit, high speed, low power, 8-channel, successive approximation ADCs. The parts operate from a single 2.7 V to 5.25 V power supply and feature throughput rates up to 1 MSPS. The parts contain a low noise, wide bandwidth track-and-hold amplifier that can handle input frequencies in excess of 8 MHz.
The conversion process and data acquisition are controlled using CS and the serial clock signal, allowing the device to easily interface with microprocessors or DSPs. The input signal is sampled on the falling edge of CS and conversion is also initiated at this point. There are no pipeline delays associated with the part.
The AD7908/AD7918/AD7928 use advanced design techniques to achieve very low power dissipation at maximum throughput rates. At maximum throughput rates, the AD7908/AD7918/AD7928 consume 2 mA maximum with 3 V supplies; with 5 V supplies, the current consumption is 2.7 mA maximum.
Through the configuration of the control register, the analog input range for the part can be selected as 0 V to REFIN or 0 V to 2 × REFIN, with either straight binary or twos complement output coding. The AD7908/AD7918/AD7928 each feature eight single-ended analog inputs with a channel sequencer to allow a preprogrammed selection of channels to be converted sequentially.
The conversion time for the AD7908/AD7918/AD7928 is determined by the SCLK frequency, which is also used as the master clock to control the conversion.
- High Throughput with Low Power Consumption. The AD7908/ AD7918/AD7928 offer up to 1 MSPS throughput rates. At the maximum throughput rate with 3 V supplies, the AD7908/ AD7918/AD7928 dissipate just 6 mW of power maximum.
- Eight Single-Ended Inputs with a Channel Sequencer. A sequence of channels can be selected, through which the ADC cycles and converts on.
- Single-Supply Operation with VDRIVE Function. The AD7908/ AD7918/AD7928 operate from a single 2.7 V to 5.25 V supply. The VDRIVE function allows the serial interface to connect directly to either 3 V or 5 V processor systems independent of AVDD.
- Flexible Power/Serial Clock Speed Management. The conversion rate is determined by the serial clock, allowing the conversion time to be reduced through the serial clock speed increase. The parts also feature various shutdown modes to maximize power efficiency at lower throughput rates. Current consumption is 0.5 μA max when in full shutdown.
- No Pipeline Delay. The parts feature a standard successive approximation ADC with accurate control of the sampling instant via a CS input and once off conversion control.
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
AD7908 Companion Parts
Recommended Precison References - 2.5V
- For high output current applications: ADR431, REF192.
- For applications requiring the lowest noise performance and output trim adjust: ADR441.
- For wide supply applications: AD780.
- For cost sensitive applications: AD1582, ADR391.
Recommended Input Buffer Amplifiers
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.