Features and Benefits
- 10-bit ADC with 15 μs and 30 μs conversion times
- 1 single-ended analog input channel
- On-chip temperature sensor: −40°C to +125°C
- On-chip track-and-hold
- Overtemperature indicator
- Automatic power-down at the end of a conversion
- Wide operating supply range: 2.7 V to 5.5 V
- I2C-compatible serial interface
- Selectable serial bus address allows connection of up to 8 AD7416/AD7417 devices to a single bus
The AD7417 and AD7418 are 10-bit, 4-channel and single-channel ADCs with an on-chip temperature sensor that can operate from a single 2.7 V to 5.5 V power supply. The devices contain a 15 μs successive approximation converter, a 5-channel multiplexer, a temperature sensor, a clock oscillator, a track-and-hold, and a reference (2.5 V). The AD7416 is a temperature-monitoring only device in an 8-lead package.
The temperature sensor on the parts can be accessed via multiplexer Channel 0. When Channel 0 is selected and a conversion is initiated, the resulting ADC code at the end of the conversion gives a measurement of the ambient temperature (±1°C @ 25°C). On-chip registers can be programmed with high and low temperature limits, and an open-drain overtemperature indicator (OTI) output is provided, which becomes active when a programmed limit is exceeded.
A configuration register allows programming of the sense of the OTI output (active high or active low) and its operating mode (comparator or interrupt). A programmable fault queue counter allows the number of out-of-limit measurements that must occur before triggering the OTI output to be set to prevent spurious triggering of the OTI output in noisy environments.
An I2C® compatible serial interface allows the AD7416/AD7417/ AD7418 registers to be written to and read back. The three LSBs of the AD7416/AD7417 serial bus address can be selected, which allows up to eight AD7416/AD7417 devices to be connected to a single bus.
The AD7417 is available in a narrow body, 0.15 inch, 16-lead, small outline package (SOIC) and in a 16-lead, thin shrink, small outline package (TSSOP). The AD7416 and AD7418 are available in 8-lead SOIC and MSOP packages.
- The AD7416/AD7417/AD7418 have an on-chip temperature sensor that allows an accurate measurement of the ambient temperature (±1°C @ 25°C, ±2°C overtemperature) to be made. The measurable temperature range is −40°C to +125°C. An overtemperature indicator is implemented by carrying out a digital comparison of the ADC code for Channel 0 (temperature sensor) with the contents of the on-chip TOTI setpoint register.
- The AD7417 offers a space-saving, 10-bit analog-to-digital solution with four external voltage input channels, an onchip temperature sensor, an on-chip reference, and a clock oscillator.
- The automatic power-down feature enables the AD7416/ AD7417/AD7418 to achieve superior power performance. At slower throughput rates, the part can be programmed to operate in a low power shutdown mode, allowing further savings in power consumption.
- Data acquisition with ambient temperature monitoring
- Industrial process control
- Battery-charging applications
- Personal computers
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The AD7416/7/8 evaluation board allows the AD7416 digital temperature sensor to be quickly and easily evaluated using a PC. Using the evaluation board and its accompanying software, the AD7416/AD7417/AD7418 evaluation board can be interfaced to a PC through its USB connection.
Please note: This Evaluation software does not run on Windows 8 or Windows 10 (USB driver is non-compliant with OS >Windows 7).
Documentation & Resources
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.