Features and Benefits
- Single-channel, 256-/1024-position resolution
- 20 kΩ, 50 kΩ, and 100 kΩ nominal resistance
- Maximum ±1% nominal resistor tolerance error (resistor performance mode)
- 20-times programmable wiper memory
- Rheostat mode temperature coefficient: 35 ppm/°C
- Voltage divider temperature coefficient: 5 ppm/°C
- +9 V to +33 V single-supply operation
- ±9 V to ±16.5 V dual-supply operation
- SPI-compatible serial interface
- Wiper setting readback
- Power-on refreshed from 20-TP memory
- Download AD5292-EP Data Sheet (pdf)
- Temperature range: −55°C to +125°C
- Controlled manufacturing baseline
- One assembly/test site
- One fabrication site
- Enhanced product change notification
- Qualification data available on request
- V62/12616 DSCC Drawing Number
The AD5291 and AD5292 are single-channel, 256-/1024-position digital potentiometers that combine industry leading variable resistor performance with nonvolatile memory (NVM) in a compact package. These devices are capable of operating across a wide voltage range, supporting both dual supply operation at ±10.5 V to ±16.5 V and single supply operation at +21 V to +33 V, while ensuring less than 1% end-to-end resistor tolerance error and offering 20-time programmable (20-TP) memory.
The guaranteed industry leading low resistor tolerance error feature simplifies open-loop applications as well as precision calibration and tolerance matching applications.
The AD5291 and AD5292 device wiper settings are controllable through the SPI digital interface. Unlimited adjustments are allowed before programming the resistance value into the 20-TP memory. The AD5291 and AD5292 do not require any external voltage supply to facilitate fuse blow, and there are 20 opportunities for permanent programming. During 20-TP activation, a permanent blow fuse command freezes the wiper position (analogous to placing epoxy on a mechanical trimmer).
The AD5291 and AD5292 are available in a compact 14-lead TSSOP package. The part is guaranteed to operate over the extended industrial temperature range of −40°C to +105°C.
- Mechanical potentiometer replacement
- Instrumentation: gain and offset adjustment
- Programmable voltage-to-current conversion
- Programmable filters, delays, and time constants
- Programmable power supply
- Low resolution DAC replacement
- Sensor calibration
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
This user guide describes the full featured EVAL-AD5292DBZ board for evaluating the AD5292 digital potentiometer. The AD5292 is a single-channel, 1024-position digital potentiometer with less than ±1% end to end resistor tolerance error and 20-time programmable (20-TP) memory. The AD5292 is capable of operating at high voltages, supporting both dual supply ±10.5 V to ±16.5 V and single supply 21 V to 33 V operation.
The AD5292 uses a serial interface that operates at clock rates of up to 50 MHz and is compatible with the standard serial peripheral interface (SPI).
The EVAL-AD5292DBZ incorporates an internal power supply from the USB and allows an external power supply for the logic voltage levels. The logic voltage levels operate from single 2.7 V to 5.5 V supplies. The EVAL-AD5292DBZ can operate in single supply and dual supply modes, and incorporates an output buffer.
Complete specifications for the AD5292 can be found in the AD5292 data sheet available from Analog Devices, Inc., and must be consulted in conjunction with this user guide when using the evaluation board.
Features & Benefits
- Full featured evaluation board in conjunction with high voltage digital potentiometer motherboard (EVAL-MB-HV-SDZ)
- PC control via SDP-B or SDP-S
- PC software for control
- 20-time programmable
- 1% resistance precision
Application Notes (8)
Software & Systems Requirements
Tools & Simulations
Product Selection Guide (1)
Rarely Asked Questions (28)
Technical Articles (2)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.