Features and Benefits
- Non-Volatile Programmable Stand-Alone Charger
- 1% Charge Current, 256 Current Settings
- 0.25% Charge Voltage, 2.42V to 4.8V, Configurable
- Optional Manual Charge Control
- FET Temperature Limit and Heat Regulation
- Prequal, SmartFull, and Step-Charging Options
- JEITA—9 Temperature Regions
- Battery Health + Programmable Safety/Protection
- Overvoltage/Overcharge Current
- Temperature Region Dependent
- Overcharge/Discharge/Short-Circuit Current
- Over/Under Temperature
- Zero-Volt or >1.8V Charging Option
- Undervoltage + SmartEmpty
- Pushbutton Wakeup/Factory Ship Mode (0.5μA)
- ModelGauge m5 EZ Algorithm
- Percent, Capacity,Time-to-Empty/Full, Age
- Cycle+™ Age Forecast + Age-Scheduled Charging
- Dynamic Power—Estimates Power Capability
- SHA-256 Authentication to Prevent Cloning
- Precision Measurement Without Calibration
- Current, Voltage, Power, Time, Cycles
- Die Temperature and two Thermistors
- History Logging, User Data
- Low Quiescent Current
- FETs Enabled: 35μA Active, 21μA Hibernate
- FETs Disabled: 8μA Ship, 0.5μA Shutdown
- 2-Wire (I2C) and 1-Wire®
- 1.9 mm x 2.5 mm 15-Bump 0.5mm Pitch Wafer-Level Package (WLP)
The MAX17332 is a 35μA IQ stand-alone charger, fuel gauge, protector, and battery internal self-discharge detection IC for 1-cell lithium-ion/polymer batteries. When a voltage source is present, the IC regulates charging by modulating the charge N-FET, using AccuCharge™charger technology. The IC regulates charge voltage, current, and FET temperature. Stand-alone charging is supported by flexible configuration in nonvolatile memory. The IC supports the following applications:
- Low-Power Charging
- 1mA to 500mA directly from universal 5V USB
- No USB identification/coordination needed
- High-Power Parallel Packs (>1000mA)
- Independently charges parallel packs
- Prevents cross-charging for parallel batteries
- Coordinates external DC-DC with alerts
- Minimizes dropout and heat
- Protection and Charging Control—pack or host side
The IC ideal diode circuit supports a quick response to system transients and adapter removal with low voltage drop across the CHG FET.
The IC uses the ModelGauge™ m5 EZ algorithm that combines the short-term accuracy and linearity of a coulomb counter with the long-term stability of a voltage-based fuel gauge to provide industry-leading accuracy. The IC automatically compensates for cell aging, temperature, and discharge rate while providing accurate state-of-charge (SOC) in milliampere-hours (mAh) or percentage (%) over a wide range of operating conditions.
The IC monitors the voltage, current, temperature, and state of the battery to provide protection against over/undervoltage, overcurrent, short-circuit, over/undertemperature and overcharge conditions, and internal self-discharge protection using external high-side N-FETs to ensure that the lithium-ion/polymer battery operates under safe conditions which prolongs the life of the battery.
- USB PPS and Direct Charging
- Smart Batteries and Hybrid Supercap Batteries
- Dual Screen Smartphones, Tablets
- Hearables, Wearables, Smartwatches
- Medical Devices, Health, Fitness Monitors
- Handheld Radios, Computers, Accessories
- Home/Building Automation, Sensors, Cameras
- Parallel Battery AR/VR Systems
Markets and Technologies
Comparable Parts Click to see all in Parametric Search
Fuel Gauge Algorithm
Battery Management Features
AccuCharge, I2C Communication, Integrated Fuel Gauge, JEITA Compliant, OVP, Push-Button Wakeup, Ship Mode, Stand Alone, Thermistor Input, Timer, USB Input
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The MAX17332 evaluation kit (EV kit) is a fully assembled and tested surface-mount PCB that evaluates the standalone charger, fuel gauge IC with protector and optional SHA-256 authentication for 1 cell lithium-ion/polymer batteries.
The MAX17332 EV kits include the IC evaluation board with integrated I2C interface and USB micro-B cable. Windows® based graphical user interface (GUI) software is available for use with the EV kit and can be downloaded from MAX17332 product page under the Design Resources tab. Windows 7 or newer Windows operating system is required to use with the EV kit GUI software.
Features & Benefits
- ModelGauge m5 Algorithm
- Charges, Monitors, and Protects a 1S Battery
- Full Protection Solution On-Board for Evaluation
- Battery Voltage (VBATT) Range of +2.16V to +4.9V with Default Hardware
- Input Voltage up to 5.7V
- Default Current Range -5A (Discharge) to +2.56A (Charge) with 10mΩ Sense Resistor (Higher Currents can be Supported by Changing to a Smaller Sense Resistor)
- Two Thermistor Measurements
- On-Board I2C Communication Interface with Built-In MAXUSB Interface
- Windows 7 or Newer Compatible Software
- Proven PCB Layout
- Fully Assembled and Tested
Documentation & Resources
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.