Features and Benefits
- Accurate Battery-Capacity and Time-To-Empty Estimation
- Temperature, Age, and Rate Compensated
- Does Not Require Empty, Full, or Idle States to Maintain Accuracy
- Precision Measurement System
- No Calibration Required
- ModelGauge m3 Algorithm
- Long-Term Influence by Voltage Fuel Gauge Cancels Coulomb-Counter Drift
- Short-Term Influence by Coulomb Counter Provides Excellent Linearity
- Adapts to Cell Characteristics
- External Temperature-Measurement Network
- Actively Switched Thermistor Resistive Divider Reduces Current Consumption
- Low Quiescent Current
- 25µA Active, < 0.5µA Shutdown
- Alert Indicator for SOC, Voltage, Temperature, and Battery Removal/Insertion Events
- AtRate Estimation of Remaining Capacity
- 2-Wire (I2C) Interface
- Tiny, Lead(Pb)-Free, 3mm x 3mm, 10-Pin TDFN Package or Tiny 0.4mm Pitch 9-Bump WLP Package
The MAX17050 remains in production, however, for new projects, we recommend ModelGauge m5 MAX17055 fuel gauge.
The MAX17047/MAX17050 incorporate the Maxim ModelGauge™ m3 algorithm that combines the excellent short-term accuracy and linearity of a coulomb counter with the excellent long-term stability of a voltage-based fuel gauge, along with temperature compensation to provide industry-leading fuel-gauge accuracy. ModelGauge m3 cancels offset accumulation error in the coulomb counter while providing better short-term accuracy than any purely voltage-based fuel gauge. Additionally, the ModelGauge m3 algorithm does not suffer from abrupt corrections that normally occur in coulomb-counter algorithms since tiny continual corrections are distributed over time.
The device automatically compensates for aging, temperature, and discharge rate and provides accurate state of charge (SOC) in mAh or %, as well as time-to-empty over a wide range of operating conditions. The device provides two methods for reporting the age of the battery: reduction in capacity and cycle odometer.
The device provides precision measurements of current, voltage, and temperature. Temperature of the battery pack is measured using an external thermistor supported by ratiometric measurements on an auxiliary input. A 2-wire (I2C) interface provides access to data and control registers. The MAX17047 is available in a lead(Pb)-free, 3mm x 3mm, 10-pin TDFN package. The MAX17050 is available in a 0.4mm pitch 9-bump WLP package.
- Digital Still, Video and Action Cameras
- Handheld Computers and Terminals
- Health and Fitness Monitors
- Medical Devices
- Smartphones, Tablets
- Wireless Speakers
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The MAX17050 evaluation kit (EV kit) includes the USB adapter and cord. Windows XP®-, Windows Vista®-, and Windows® 7-compatible software is also available for use with the EV kit and can be downloaded from Maxim’s website (www.maximintegrated.com/evkitsoftware).
The EV kit is a fully assembled and tested surface-mount PCB that evaluates the MAX17050 advanced stand-alone fuel-gauge IC for single-cell lithium-ion (LI+) batteries in handheld and portable equipment.
- 2.5G/3G/4G Wireless Handsets
- Digital Still and Video Cameras
- Portable Game Players
- Portable Medical Equipment
- Tablets and Handheld Computers
Features & Benefits
- Battery Input Voltage Range: +2.5V to +4.5V
- Thermal Measurement Network
- Optional On-Board PC Trace Sense Resistor
- Windows XP-, Windows Vista-, and Windows 7-Compatible Software
- Proven PCB Layout
- Fully Assembled and Tested
Documentation & Resources
MAX17050 Reliability Data1/12/2023
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.