Features and Benefits
- Switching Regulator with Bat-Track™ Adaptive Output Control Makes Optimal Use of Limited Power Available from USB Port to Charge Battery and Power Application
- Charge Control Algorithm Specifically Designed for LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate)
- Overvoltage Protection Guards Against Damage
- Bat-Track External Step-Down Switching Regulator Control Maximizes Efficiency from Automotive, Firewire and Other High Voltage Input Sources
- 180mΩ Internal Ideal Diode Plus External Ideal Diode Controller Seamlessly Provide Low Loss PowerPath™ When Input Power Is Limited or Unavailable
- Preset 3.6V Charge Voltage with 0.5% Accuracy
- Instant-On Operation with Discharged Battery
- 700mA Maximum Load Current from USB Port
- 2A Maximum Input Current from Internal Switching Regulator
- 1.5A Maximum Charge Current with Thermal Limiting
- 20-Lead 3mm × 4mm × 0.75mm QFN Package
The LTC4098-3.6 is a high efficiency USB PowerPath controller and full-featured LiFePO4 battery charger. It seamlessly manages power distribution from multiple sources including USB, wall adapter, automotive, Firewire or other high voltage DC/DC converters, and a LiFePO4 battery.
The LTC4098-3.6 charge algorithm is optimized for LiFePO4 by implementing a 1-hour float voltage termination timer and a 0°C to 60°C NTC-based charge qualification range. Furthermore, completely discharged batteries are charged at the full programmed charge current.
The LTC4098-3.6’s switching regulator can automatically limit its input current for USB compatibility. For automotive and other high voltage applications, the LTC4098‑3.6 interfaces with an external switching regulator. Both the USB input and the auxiliary input controller feature Bat-Track optimized charging to provide maximum power to the application and reduced heat in high power density applications with input supplies from 5V to as high as 38V.
An overvoltage protection circuit guards the LTC4098-3.6 from high voltage damage on the VBUS pin with just two external components.
The LTC4098-3.6 is available in a 20-lead 3mm × 4mm × 0.75mm QFN surface mount package.
|LTC4098||4.2V (1-cell Li-Ion/Li-Polymer)|
|LTC4098-1||4.1V (1-cell Li-Ion/Li-Polymer)|
|LTC4098-3.6||3.6V (1-cell LiFePO4)|
- High Peak Power Battery-Powered Equipment
- Backup Applications
- High Reliability Handhelds
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
LTC4098-3.6 Companion Parts
Recommended µModule Isolator
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.