Features and Benefits
- Out-of-Phase Controllers Reduce Required Input Capacitance
- True PLL for Frequency Locking or Frequency Adjustment
- Operating Frequency Range: 300kHz to 750kHz
- Wide VIN Range: 2.5V to 10V
- Constant Frequency Current Mode Architecture
- Low Dropout: 100% Duty Cycle
- Power Good Output Voltage Monitor
- Internal Soft-Start Circuitry
- Selectable Burst Mode®/Pulse Skipping Operation at Light Loads
- Output Overvoltage Protection
- Low Quiescent Current: 460µA
- 0.8V ±2% Voltage Reference
- Small 16-Lead Narrow SSOP Package
The LTC3701 is a 2-phase dual constant frequency current mode step-down DC/DC controller providing excellent load and line regulation. Power loss and noise due to ESR of the input capacitor are minimized by operating the two controller output stages out-of-phase.
The LTC3701 provides a 0.8V ±2% voltage reference and consumes only 460µA of quiescent current. To further maximize the life of a battery source, the external P-channel MOSFET is turned on continuously in dropout (100% duty cycle).
Switching frequency is internally set at 550kHz, allowing the use of small inductors and capacitors. For noise sensitive applications, the LTC3701 can be externally synchronized using its phase-locked loop. The frequency can also be externally set from 300kHz to 750kHz by applying a voltage to the PLLLPF pin. Burst Mode operation is inhibited during synchronization or when the EXTCLK/MODE pin is pulled low to reduce noise and RF interference.
The LTC3701 contains independent internal soft-start circuitry for each controller. Other features include a power good output voltage monitor and output overvoltage and short-circuit protection.
The LTC3701 is available in a small footprint 16-lead narrow SSOP package.
- One or Two Lithium-Ion Powered Applications
- Notebook and Handheld Computers
- Personal Digital Assistants
- Portable Instruments
- Distributed DC Power Systems
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
Technical Articles (2)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.