Features and Benefits
- Dual N-Channel MOSFET Synchronous Drive
- Synchronizable/Programmable Fixed Frequency
- Wide VIN Range: 3.5V to 36V Operation
- 5-Bit Digital-to-Analog VOUT Selection:
- 0.925V to 2.00V Range with 50mV/25mV Steps
- OPTI-LOOP™ Compensation Minimizes COUT
- ±1% Output Voltage Accuracy
- Power Good Output Voltage Monitor
- Output Overvoltage Crowbar Protection
- Internal Current Foldback
- Latched Short-Circuit Shutdown Timer with Defeat Option
- Forced Continuous Control Pin
- Optional Programmable Soft-Start
- Remote Output Voltage Sense
- Available in 24-Lead SSOP Package
The LTC1736 is a synchronous step-down switching regulator controller optimized for CPU power. The output voltage is programmed by a 5-bit digital-to-analog converter (DAC) that adjusts the output voltage from 0.925V to 2.00V according to Intel mobile VID specifications. The 0.8V reference is compatible with future microprocessor generations.
The operating frequency (synchronizable up to 500kHz) is set by an external capacitor allowing maximum flexibility in optimizing efficiency. The output voltage is monitored by a power good window comparator that indicates when the output is within 7.5% of its programmed value.
Protection features include: internal foldback current limiting, output overvoltage crowbar and optional short-circuit shutdown. Soft-start is provided by an external capacitor that can be used to properly sequence supplies. The operating current level is user-programmable via an external current sense resistor. Wide input supply range allows operation from 3.5V to 30V (36V maximum).
Pin defeatable Burst Mode™ operation provides high efficiency at low load currents. OPTI-LOOP compensation allows the transient response to be optimized over a wide range of output capacitance and ESR values.
- Notebook and Palmtop Computers, PDAs
- Power Supply for Mobile Pentium® II and Pentium III Processors
- Low Voltage Power Supplies
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (2)
DC279A-B Demo Board for:
LTC1736 5-Bit Adjustable High Efficiency Synchronous Step-Down Switching Regulator
LT1762 150mA, Low Noise, LDO Micropower Regulators
LTC1772 Constant Frequency Current Mode Step-Down DC/DC Controller in SOT-23
Design Notes (5)
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.