New Content (1)
Features and Benefits
- 4 A peak current (<2 Ω RDSON_x)
- 2.5 V to 6.5 V logic input voltage
- 4.5 V to 35 V output supply voltage
- UVLO VDD1 positive going threshold: 2.5 V maximum
- Multiple UVLO options for VDDA and VDDB positive going threshold
- Grade A: 4.5 V maximum
- Grade B: 7.5 V maximum
- Grade C: 11.6 V maximum
- Precise timing characteristics
- 44 ns maximum propagation delay
- Adjustable dead time and dual input (ADuM4221)
- Adjustable dead time and single input (ADuM4221-1)
- No dead time control and dual input (ADuM4221-2)
- CMOS input logic levels
- High common-mode transient immunity: 150 kV/µs
- High junction temperature operation: 125°C
- Default low output
- Safety and regulatory approvals (pending)
- UL recognition per UL 1577
- 5700 V rms for 1 minute duration
- CSA Component Acceptance Notice 5A
- VDE certificate of conformity
- DIN V VDE V 0884-11: VIORM = 849 V peak
- UL recognition per UL 1577
- Increased creepage wide body, 16-lead SOIC_IC
The ADuM4221/ADuM4221-1/ADuM4221-2 are 4 A isolated, half bridge gate drivers that employ the Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology to provide independent and isolated high-side and low-side outputs. The ADuM4221/ADuM4221-1/ADuM4221-2 provide 5700 V rms isolation in an increased creepage wide body, 16-lead SOIC_IC. Combining high speed CMOS and monolithic transformer technology, these isolation components provide outstanding performance characteristics superior to the alternatives, such as the combination of pulse transformers and gate drivers.
The isolators operate with a logic input voltage ranging from 2.5 V to 6.5 V, providing compatibility with lower voltage systems. In comparison to gate drivers employing high voltage level translation methodologies, the ADuM4221/ADuM4221-1/ADuM4221-2 offer the benefit of true, galvanic isolation between the input and each output.
The ADuM4221/ADuM4221-1/ADuM4221-2 each have built in overlap protection and allow dead time adjustment. A single resistor between the dead time pin (DT) and the GND1 pin sets the dead time on the secondary side between the high-side and the low-side outputs.
An internal thermal shutdown (TSD) sets outputs low if the internal temperature on the ADuM4221/ADuM4221-1/ADuM4221-2 exceeds the TSD temperature. As a result, the ADuM4221/ADuM4221-1/ADuM4221-2 provide reliable control over the switching characteristics of the insulated gate bipolar transistor (IGBT)/metal-oxide semiconductor field effect transistor (MOSFET) configurations over a wide range of positive or negative switching voltages.
- Switching power supplies
- Isolated IGBT/MOSFET gate drives
- Industrial inverters
- Gallium nitride (GaN)/silicon carbide (SiC) compatible
1 Protected by U.S. Patents 5,952,849; 6,873,065; 7,075,239. Other patents pending.
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-ADuM4221-2EBZ supports the ADuM4221-2 half bridge gate driver that employs Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology to provide independent and isolated high-side and low-side outputs. The EVAL-ADuM4221-2EBZ is populated with the ADuM4221-2, which has the VIA and VIB. The EVAL-ADuM4221-2EBZ supplies jumpers and screw terminals to configure different drive conditions. The EVAL-ADuM4221-2EBZ operates with square waves and dc values on the VIA, VIB, and DISABLE pins.
The ADuM4221-2 operates with an input supply ranging from 2.5 V to 6.5 V, providing compatibility with lower voltage systems. Logic level voltages at the input pins control the VOA and VOB outputs.
The driver has a DISABLE input pin that, if held high, shuts the device off regardless of the input on the channels.
The ADuM4221-2 provides operation with voltages of up to 35 V on the secondary side. The EVAL-ADuM4221-2EBZ has a provision for the high-side supply to be bootstrapped to the low-side supply. The EVAL-ADuM4221-2EBZ facilitates testing of the propagation delay, drive strength, and input logic of the device. Because the EVAL-ADuM4221-2EBZ has footprints for insulated gate bipolar transistors (IGBTs) and metal-oxide semiconductor field effect transistors (MOSFETs) in TO-220 and TO-252 packages, the ADuM4221-2 can be evaluated with many different power devices.
For complete information about the ADuM4221-2, refer to the ADuM4221-2 data sheet in conjunction with the user guide when using the EVAL-ADuM4221-2EBZ.
Features & Benefits
- Output voltage range to 35 V
- Screw terminals for easy connectivity
- Pad placement for external series gate resistors
- Pad placement for capacitive load testing
- Supports TO-220 or TO-252 IGBTs or MOSFETs
- Bootstrap option
- Jumper placement for easy half bridge setup
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.