Features and Benefits
- Highly integrated feature set for a high brightness LED driver solution with minimal external components
- 4 current sink channels with an adjustable current from
- 125 μA to 500 mA
- Analog and pulse-width modulation (PWM) dimming inputs
- Analog and PWM LED current outputs
- 2% (maximum) matching between LED channels
- 5% (maximum) LED current accuracy
- Operates from VIN of 3 V to 30 V; higher voltages easily accomplished with an external Zener diode
- Operates with LED anode supply voltages up to 100 V dc
- Feedback output controls external power source for optimal efficiency and safety
- Multiple ADP8140 IC operation in parallel to control one power supply
- Integrated error amplifier for secondary side control of isolated power supplies
- Easy connection of a temperature thermistor or light sensor
- Provides robust protection of the entire system
- Power supply overvoltage protection
- LED overtemperature protection
- LED short-circuit protection
- LED open-circuit protection
- IC overtemperature protection
- Shorted ISET protection
- Open ISET and EN protection
- Standby mode for low current consumption
- Fault indicator output
- Small, thermally enhanced, LFCSP package (4 mm × 4 mm)
The ADP8140 provides high current control of up to four LED drivers. Each driver can sink up to 500 mA. The sink current is programmed for all four drivers with one external resistor.
The device features a feedback output that controls an external power supply for optimal efficiency. The ADP8140 also protects the LEDs, power supply, and itself against thermal events, short circuits, overvoltages, and LED open circuits. Multiple ADP8140 ICs are easily connected in parallel to drive additional LED strings or higher current LEDs. The ADP8140 is available in a small, thermally enhanced, lead frame chip scale package (LFCSP).
- High brightness LED lighting
- Large format LED backlighting
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The ADP8140CP-EVALZ demonstrates the functionality of the ADP8140 lead frame chip scale package (LFCSP) current sink light emitting diode (LED) driver.
The evaluation kit includes the ADP8140EB-EVALZ and the ADP8140 LED-EVALZ. The ADP8140EB-EVALZ has an ADP8140 with a P-channel metal-oxide semiconductor (PMOS) field effect transistor regulation stage to power the LEDs. The ADP8140 LED-EVALZ houses four strings of 6 LEDs per string.
Use the ADP8140CP-EVALZ to evaluate the ADP8140 device by driving LED strings with a maximum current of 350 mA per string.
Full specifications for the ADP8140 are available in the ADP8140 data sheet. Consult the data sheet in conjunction with this user guide when working with the ADP8140CP-EVALZ.
Features & Benefits
- Evaluation board voltage range
- 3 LEDs: 8 V to 30 V
- 6 LEDs: 15 V to 30 V
- Evaluation board current sink range (four adjustable channels)
- 125 μA to 350 mA
- ADP8140 voltage range: 3.0 V to 30.0 V
- ADP8140 current sink range (four adjustable channels)
- 125 μA to 500 mA
- Analog and PWM dimming inputs and LED current outputs
- Feedback output control external power source for optimal efficiency and safety
Documentation & Resources
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.