Features and Benefits
- Default charging termination voltage at 3.6 V
- Fully compatible with USB 3.0 and USB Battery Charging 1.2 Compliance Plan Specification
- Tolerant input voltage from −0.5 V to +20 V (USB VBUS)
- Fully programmable via I2C
- Flexible digital control inputs
- Up to 2.1 A current from an ac charger in LDO mode
- Built-in current sensing and limiting
- Operating input voltage from 4 V to 6.7 V
- As low as 55 mΩ battery isolation FET between battery and charger output
- Thermal regulation prevents overheating
- Compliant with JEITA 1 and JEITA 2 Li-Ion battery charging temperature specifications
- SYS_EN flag permits the system to be disabled until battery is at the minimum required level for guaranteed system start-up
- 4 mm × 4 mm LFCSP package
The ADP5063 charger is fully compliant with USB 3.0 and the USB Battery Charging 1.2 Compliance Plan Specification, and enables charging via the mini USB VBUS pin from a wall charger, car charger, or USB host port.
The ADP5063 operates from a 4 V to 6.7 V input voltage range but is tolerant of voltages up to 20 V, thereby alleviating concerns about USB bus spikes during disconnection or connection scenarios.
The ADP5063 features an internal field effect transistor (FET) between the linear charger output and the battery. This permits battery isolation and, therefore, system powering under a dead battery or no battery scenario, which allows immediate system function upon connection to a USB power supply.
Based on the type of USB source, which is detected by an external USB detection chip, the ADP5063 can be set to apply the correct current limit for optimal charging and USB compliance.
The ADP5063 has three factory-programmable digital input/out-put pins that provide maximum flexibility for different systems. These digital input/output pins permit a combination of features, such as input current limits, charging enable and disable, charging current limits, and a dedicated interrupt output pin.
- Single cell LiFePO4 portable equipment
- Portable medical devices
- Portable instrumentation devices
- Portable consumer devices
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The ADP5063 charger evaluation system is composed of an evaluation board and a USB-to-serial-I/O interface (USB-SDPCABLEZ). All evaluation board functions and circuits are controlled via one I2C bus connector. The I2C bus interfaces with the ADP5063 directly, and the digital input/output signals are controlled through an on-board input/output expander circuit on the I2C bus. The evaluation board also features a 3.4 V regulator for VDDIO generation. The board contains jumpers and numerous test points for easy evaluation.
The ADP5063CP-EVALZ evaluation kit contains a CD with the ADP5063 graphical user interface (GUI) 3.0 installer. Use the GUI in conjunction with the USB-SDP-CABLEZ USB-to-serial-I/O interface.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.