Features and Benefits
- Isolated RS-485/RS-422 transceiver, configurable as half or full duplex
- isoPower® integrated isolated dc-to-dc converter
- ±15 kV ESD protection on RS-485 input/output pins
- Complies with ANSI/TIA/EIA-485-A-98 and ISO 8482:1987(E)
- Data rate: 16 Mbps
- 5 V or 3.3 V operation
- Connect up to 256 nodes on one bus
- Open- and short-circuit, fail-safe receiver inputs
- High common-mode transient immunity: >25 kV/µs
- Thermal shutdown protection
- Safety and regulatory approvals
- UL recognition: 2500 V rms for 1 minute per UL 1577
- VDE Certificates of Conformity
– DIN EN 60747-5-2 (VDE 0884 Part 2): 2003-01
– VIORM = 560 V peak
- Operating temperature range: −40°C to +85°C
- Highly integrated, 20-lead, wide-body SOIC package
The ADM2582E/ADM2587E are fully integrated signal and power isolated data transceivers with ±15 kV ESD protection and are suitable for high speed communication on multipoint transmission lines. The ADM2582E/ADM2587E include an
integrated isolated dc-to-dc power supply, which eliminates the need for an external dc-to-dc isolation block.
They are designed for balanced transmission lines and comply with ANSI/TIA/EIA-485-A-98 and ISO 8482:1987(E).
The devices integrate Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology to combine a 3-channel isolator, a three-state differential line driver, a differential input receiver, and Analog Devices isoPower dc-to-dc converter into a single package. The devices are powered by a single 5 V or 3.3 V supply, realizing a fully integrated signal and power isolated RS-485 solution.
The ADM2582E/ADM2587E driver has an active high enable. An active low receiver enable is also provided, which causes the receiver output to enter a high impedance state when disabled.
The devices have current limiting and thermal shutdown features to protect against output short circuits and situations where bus contention may cause excessive power dissipation. The parts are fully specified over the industrial temperature range and are available in a highly integrated, 20-lead, wide-body SOIC package.
The ADM2582E/ADM2587E contain isoPower technology that uses high frequency switching elements to transfer power through the transformer. Special care must be taken during printed circuit board (PCB) layout to meet emissions standards. Refer to the AN-0971 Application Note, Control of Radiated Emissions with isoPower Devices, for details on board layout considerations.
- Isolated RS-485/RS-422 interfaces
- Industrial field networks
- Multipoint data transmission systems
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (2)
The ADM2582E power and signal isolated RS-485 transceivers have two options for easy evaluation: the EVAL-ADM2582EEBZ 4-Layer EN55022 Class B Radiated Emissions Compliant Evaluation Board or the EVAL-ADM2582EEMIZ 2-Layer EN55022 Class A Radiated Emissions Compliant Evaluation Board. Both evaluation boards options are populated with an ADM2582E 20-lead wide-body SOIC component.
The EVAL-ADM2582EEBZ evaluation board is designed to reduce emissions generated by the high frequency switching elements used by the isoPower® technology to transfer power through its transformer. The 4 layer board layout was generated using the guidelines provided in the AN-0971 Application Note, Recommendations for Control of Radiated Emissions with isoPower Devices. The EVAL-ADM2582EEBZ evaluation board was tested at an independent test facility. The evaluation board passed the IEC 61000-4-5 surge testing up to 2 kV.
The EVAL-ADM2582EEMIZ is designed to reduce emissions generated by the high frequency switching elements used by the isoPower® technology to transfer power through the ADM2582E/ADM2587E integrated transformer. The 2 layer board layout is generated using the guidelines provided in the AN-1349 Application Note, PCB Implementation Guidelines to Minimize Radiated Emissions on the ADM2582E/ADM2587E RS-485/RS-422 Transceivers. The EVAL-ADM2582EEMIZ evaluation boards are tested and certified to pass EN55022 Class A.
Features & Benefits
- 2.5 kV rms power and signal isolated RS-485/RS-422 transceiver
- PCB layout optimized for EN55022 radiated emissions according to the AN-1349 Application Note
- ADM2582E passes EN55022 Class A (certification available)
- 2-layer printed circuit board (PCB) layout that minimizes PCB material cost
- Convenient connections for power and signal through screw terminal blocks
- Configurable as half-duplex or full-duplex
- 5 V or 3.3 V operation
- Easily configurable through jumper connections
- Test points for measuring all signals
Based on the Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology, the ADM3053 and the ADM2582E integrate logic side, signal isolation channels with an Analog Devices isoPower® dc-to-dc converter to provide regulated, isolated power. The EVAL-2LCANRS485EBZ evaluation board demonstrates best practices for layout on a 2-layer printed circuit board (PCB). This board has been tested according to EN 55032 and has passed Class A limits.
The EVAL-2LCANRS485EBZ, as shipped, is populated with the ADM3053 signal and power isolated transceiver for controller area network (CAN) and the ADM2582E signal and isolated transceiver for RS-485. The EVAL-2LCANRS485EBZ allows access to all of the input and output functions of both transceivers.
While the ADM3053 and the ADM2582E are not directly pin-compatible, the EVAL-2LCANRS485EBZ can be alternately populated with either two ADM3053 devices or two ADM2582E devices.
Full specifications on the ADM3053 and the ADM2582E can be found in the ADM3053 and the ADM2582E data sheets, available from Analog Devices, and must be consulted in conjunction with this user guide when using the EVAL-2LCANRS485EBZ.
Features & Benefits
- ADM3053 signal and power isolated CAN transceiver
- ADM2582E signal and power isolated full/half duplex RS-485 transceiver
- 2-layer PCB withlow radiated emissions,passes EN55032 Class A
- Independent on-board LDO regulators for 6 V to 9 V supply, providing 5 V to the ADM3053 and ADM2582E supply pins
- Screw terminal connectors include
- A 6 V to 9 V external supply input to LDO regulators
- Direct power supply to VCC pins (ADM2582E)
- Direct power supply tothe VIO pins (ADM3053and ADM2582E)
- TXD pin, RXD pin, RE_N pin, and DE pin signals
- CAN fieldbus pins, CANH and CANH
- RS-485 fieldbus pins, Y, Z, A, and B
- Galvanically isolated CAN and RS-485 fieldbus ports
Application Notes (3)
User Guides (3)
Tools & Simulations
Safety and Regulatory Compliance (1)
Product Selection Guide (1)
Solutions Bulletins & Brochures (1)
Press Releases (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.