Features and Benefits
- Monitor current and two voltages
- High accuracy current monitoring at low sense voltage
0.33% accurate at ±20 mV sense voltage over temperature
- Common mode sense voltage from 0V to 20V
- Support high-side and low-side current sensing
- Reports current, voltage and power
- Power accumulation for energy metering
- Bidirectional current sensing
- Digital programmable over current alert
- See datasheet for additional features
The ADM1293 and ADM1294 are high accuracy integrated digital power monitors that offer digital current, voltage, and power monitoring using an on-chip, 12-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC), communicated through a PMBus™ compliant I2C interface.
These devices acquire the current by measuring the voltage difference across the external sense resistor. This voltage is amplified and digitized by an internal 12-bit ADC. The same ADC can also sample the primary input voltage and an auxiliary input voltage. The internal digital block can perform multiplication of the current and primary input voltage for power calculation. The ADM1293/ADM1294 also feature a power accumulator for energy metering. An industry-standard PMBus interface allows a master controller to read back these data from the device. The master controller can then combine this information with a known sense resistor value to calculate the current, voltage, power, and energy consumption over time on the monitored rail.
In conditions such as overcurrent, overvoltage, undervoltage, and overpower, the ADM1293/ADM1294 devices can generate an interrupt signal to the microprocessor through the GPOx/ALERTx outputs. The threshold for these conditions is digitally programmed via PMBus.
The ADM1293 is designed for high-side supply monitoring with a voltage monitoring range from 0 V to 20 V. The ADM1294 is designed for low-side supply monitoring. Its integrated shunt regulator allows it to be powered and to monitor supply in wide voltage ranges.
The ADM1293/ADM1294 are available in 4 mm × 4 mm 16-lead LFCSP and 14-lead TSSOP packages with a specified operating ambient temperature range from −40°C to +105°C for the ADM1293 and an operating junction temperature range from −40°C to +105°C for the ADM1294.
- Power monitoring/power budgeting
- Central office equipment
- Telecommunications and data communications equipment
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-ADM1293EBZ/Eval-ADM1294EBZ is a compact full feature evaluation board for the ADM1293/ADM1294. The board layout gives users a clear visual of all the peripheral components and the hot swap power path. The layout also maximizes the board’s ability to dissipate heat for some of the key components on the power path, allowing the evaluation of very high current hot swap setups.Four sense-resistor slots and six multipackage FET slots give users great flexibility and allow a wide range of application setups.
Multiple test points allow easy access to all critical points/pins. Seven LEDs give users direct visual indication on variations in the board status, such as supply input, output, IC power good output, fault output, current sense output, and GPO outputs. An AD7291 8-channel, I2C, 12-bit SAR ADC allows users to measure voltage such as CSOUT and other pin voltages as well as to read ambient board temperature through an I2C bus in real time.
The kit supports I2C communication, allowing users to communicate with the ADM1293/ADM1294. The evaluation kit also supports cascade setup so multiple evaluation boards can be connected together and share the same I2C bus.
The boards are fully compatible with the ADM1293/ADM1294 evaluation software tool, which can be downloaded from the ADM1293/ADM1294 product page.
Users need a USB-SDP-CABLEZ USB-to-I2C dongle to use the evaluation software tools.
The standard evaluation kit is prepopulated and tested with a 12 V, 73A hot swap design capable of working with a 3 mF output capacitor.
Complete specifications for the ADM1293/ADM1294 are available in the ADM1293 data sheet/ ADM1294 from Analog Devices and should be consulted in conjunction with this user guide when using the evaluation boards.
- EVAL-ADM1293EBZ evaluation board
- EVAL-ADM1294EBZ evaluation board
- Serial I/O interface USB-SDP-CABLEZ (not included in the evaluation kit and should be ordered separately)
- Only one dongle is required in multiboard cascade setup
- Analog Devices, Inc., hot swap and power monitoring evaluation software
Features & Benefits
- Fully functional support evaluation kit for the ADM1293/ADM1294
- Populated and tested with 12 V, 73 A, 3 mF design
- Populated and tested with 12 V, 73 A, 3 mF design
- Supports up to four sense resistors in parallel
- Supports up to six FETs in parallel
- LED indicated status outputs
- Wide input voltage range of up to 20 V
- FET temperature measurement capability
- Supports cascade setup for multiple boards
- Toggle and push-button switch for easy input control
- PMBus communication supported
Software & Systems Requirements
Hot-Swap & Power Monitoring Evaluation Software
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.