Features and Benefits
- RF output frequency range: 62.5 MHz to 8000 MHz
- 9 fs rms jitter at 8 GHz output
- 17 dBm IF output power at 6 GHz RF output
- 90 dBc LO_IN to RF output
- 90 dBc spurious-free dynamic range
- Low phase noise, voltage controlled oscillator
- Programmable divide by 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, or 64 output
- 3.3 V analog, digital, and mixer power supplies
- 5 V amplifier and VCO power supply
- RF output mute function
- 18.00 mm × 18.00 mm, 80-terminal LGA_CAV
- Supported in the ADIsimPLL design tool
The ADF4401A is a fully integrated, system in package (SiP) translation loop (also known as an offset loop) module that includes a voltage controlled oscillator (VCO) and calibration phase-locked loop (PLL) circuit. Designed for highly jitter sensitive applications, this solution reduces board space and complexity compared to traditional discrete translation loop solutions designed on a printed circuit board (PCB). The time to market is significantly reduced by taking advantage of this highly integrated solution with in package circuitry and enhanced isolation that attenuates spurious components. The ADF4401A provides a frequency synthesis solution for engineers designing highly competitive systems.
The ADF4401A requires an external phase detector or phase frequency detector (PFD) and an external local oscillator (LO) to form a frequency synthesis solution.
The ADF4401A implements an integrated downconversion mixing stage in the feedback loop that sets the loop gain to 1 and minimizes the in band phase noise. By combining the frequency downconversion stage and low noise, integrated, wideband, VCO technology from Analog Devices, Inc., the ADF4401A offers a wideband jitter performance of 9 fs rms at 8 GHz output. The output jitter performance is largely dependent on the performance of the external offset LO.
The ADF4401A module uses an internal PFD and VCO calibration circuitry to select the appropriate VCO band. The user can disable the calibration circuitry and close the loop using the external PFD. All on-chip registers are controlled via a serial port interface (SPI).
- Instrumentation and measurement
- Automated test equipment
- Aerospace and defense
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EV-ADF4401ASD2Z evaluates the performance of the ADF4401A system in package (SiP) for offset phase-locked loops (PLLs). Figure 1 shows the evaluation board photograph. The EV-ADF4401ASD2Z contains the ADF4401A integrated SiP, phase frequency detector (PFD), active loop filter, power supply connectors, and Subminiature Version A (SMA) connectors.
The EV-ADF4401ASD2Z requires an EVAL-SDP-CS1Z (SDP-S) system demonstration platform (SDP), which allows software programming of the EV-ADF4401ASD2Z.
For full details on the ADF4401A, see the ADF4401A data sheet, which must be consulted in conjunction with the user guide when using the EV-ADF4401ASD2Z.
Features & Benefits
- Evaluation board including the ADF4401A SiP with integrated VCO, loop filter (5 MHz), phase frequency detector, USB interface, and voltage regulators
- PC software for control of SiP functions
- Externally powered by 6 V
ADF4401A Companion Parts
- 4.5 Ω RON, 8-Channel ±5 V,+12 V, +5 V, and +3.3 V Multiplexer: ADG1608.
- 4.5 Ω RON, 4-Channel ±5 V,+12 V, +5 V, and +3.3 V Multiplexer: ADG1609.
Recommended Active Filter
- 165 MHz, Rail-to-Rail Input and Output, 0.95nV/√Hz Low Noise, Op Amp Family: LT6200.
Recommended Phase and Frequency Detector (PFD)
- HBT Digital Phase Frequency Detector 10 - 1300 MHz: HMC3716.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.