Features and Benefits
- Triaxial, digital output MEMS vibration sensing module
- ±50 g measurement range
- Ultralow output noise density, 26 μg/√Hz (MTC mode)
- Wide bandwidth: dc to 10 kHz within 3 dB flatness (RTS mode)
- Embedded fast data sampling: 220 kSPS per axis
- 6 digital FIR filters, 32 taps (coefficients), default options:
- High-pass filter cutoff frequencies: 1 kHz, 5 kHz, 10 kHz
- Low-pass filter cutoff frequencies: 1 kHz, 5 kHz, 10 kHz
- User configurable digital filter option (32 coefficients)
- Spectral analysis through internal FFT
- Extended record length: 2048 bins per axis with user configurable bin sizes from 0.42 Hz to 53.7 Hz
- Manual or timer-based (automatic) triggering
- Windowing options: rectangular, Hanning, flat top
- FFT record averaging, configurable up to 255 records
- Spectral defined alarm monitoring, 6 alarms per axis
- Time domain capture with statistical metrics
- Extended record length: 4096 samples per axis
- Mean, standard deviation, peak, crest factor, skewness, and kurtosis
- Configurable alarm monitoring
- Real-time data streaming:
- 220 kSPS on each axis by default
- User programmable sample rates
- Burst mode communication with CRC-16 error checking
- Storage: 10 data records for each axis
- On demand self test with status flags
- Sleep mode with external and timer driven wakeup
- Digital temperature and power supply measurements
- SPI-compatible serial interface
- Identification registers: factory preprogrammed serial number, device ID, user programmable ID
- Single-supply operation: 3.0 V to 3.6 V
- Operating temperature range: −40°C to +105°C
- Automatic shutdown at 125°C (junction temperature)
- 23.7 mm × 27.0 mm × 12.4 mm aluminum package
- 36 mm flexible, 14-pin connector interface
- Mass: 13 g
The ADcmXL3021 is a complete vibration sensing system that combines high performance vibration sensing (using micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS) accelerometers) with a variety of signal processing functions to simplify the development of smart sensor nodes in condition-based monitoring (CBM) systems. The typical ultralow noise density (26 μg/√Hz) in the MEMS accelerometers supports excellent resolution. The wide bandwidth (dc to 10 kHz within 3 dB flatness) enables tracking of key vibration signatures on many machine platforms.
The signal processing includes high speed data sampling (220 kSPS), 4096 time sample record lengths, filtering, windowing, fast Fourier transform (FFT), user configurable spectral or time statistic alarms, and error flags. The serial peripheral interface (SPI) provides access to a register structure that contains the vibration data and a wide range of user configurable functions.
The ADcmXL3021 is available in a 23.7 mm × 27.0 mm × 12.4 mm aluminum package with four mounting flanges to support installation with standard machine screws. This package provides consistent mechanical coupling to the core sensors over a broad frequency range. The electrical interface is through a 14-pin connector on a 36 mm flexible cable, which enables a wide range of location and orientation options for system mating connectors.
The ADcmXL3021 requires only a single, 3.3 V power supply and supports an operating temperature range of −40°C to +105°C.
- Vibration analysis
- CBM systems
- Machine health
- Instrumentation and diagnostics
- Safety shutoff sensing
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (2)
Wired Condition Based Monitoring (CbM) Evaluation Platform
The Pioneer 1 - Wired Condition Based Monitoring (CbM) Evaluation Platform provides an industrial wired link solution for the ADcmXL3021 Triaxial Vibration Sensor. This platform provides a complete plug and play solution for operating the ADcmXL3021 on an RS-485 network over meters of cable in harsh industrial environments. The system solution combines hardware, firmware (ADcmXL3021 embedded), and PC software to enable rapid deployment and evaluation of a triaxial vibration monitoring solution. The hardware solution is also suitable for use as a flexible SPI to RS-485 extender for many devices in the Analog Devices MEMs portfolio.
The Condition Based Monitoring hardware signal chain consists of a triaxial ADcmXL3021 accelerometer with a hirose flex PCB connector. The ADcmXL3021 hi-rose connector with SPI and interrupt outputs are attached to interface PCBs, which translate SPI to an RS-485 physical layer over meters of cabling to a remote Master controller board. The SPI to RS-485 physical layer translation can be achieved using isolated or non-isolated interface PCBs, which include iCoupler® isolation (ADuM5401/ADuM110N0) and RS-485/422 transceivers (ADM4168E/ADM3066E). This solution combines power and data over 1 standard cable, which reduces cable and connector costs at remote MEMs Sensor nodes. Dedicated software GUI enables simple configuration of the ADcmXL3021 device, and vibration data capture over long cables. GUI software enables data visualization as raw time domain or FFT waveforms.
There are two evaluation kits. The following is supplied as part of the EV-CbM-Pioneer1-1Z demo kit:
- Master Interface Controller board DEMO-CbM-Master-Z.
- Low complexity non-isolated Slave Sensor interface board DEMO-CbM-Slave3-Z.
- Low complexity isolated Slave Sensor interface board DEMO-CbM-Slave2-Z.
- 2m RJ50 cable (194612-02) and 10m RJ50 cable (194612-10)
- AC/DC Power Supply - EU/UK/US/AU
The following is supplied as part of the EV-CbM-Pioneer1-2Z demo kit:
- All of the EV-CbM-Pioneer1-1Z demo kit contents
- ADcmXL3021BMLZ 14-lead Module .
- Cypress SuperSpeed Explorer kit (CYUSB3KIT-003) and USB 3.0 cable.
Features & Benefits
The Industrial Wired Condition based Monitoring (CbM) Kit enables users to:
- Rapidly deploy a wired solution to a machine or test setup
- Evaluate ADI MEMS sensor technology for vibration monitoring.
- Suitable for use as a flexible SPI to RS-485 extender for many MEMs Sensors
- Evaluate ADI interface and iCoupler® technology for industrial wired sensing
The EVAL-ADCM is a simple to use kit that allows quick performance evaluation of Analog Devices 1-axis or 3-axis, digital output MEMS vibration sensing modules. The ADcmXL3021 module consists of 3 single axis, ultra-low noise, high bandwidth ADXL1002 accelerometers, a fully implemented signal chain and MCU to incorporate configurable digital FIR filters, spectral analysis through internal FFT, configurable alarm monitoring, and time domain capture and statistical analysis. A single axis version, the ADcmXL1021 is also available. The EVAL-ADCM is ideal for evaluation of the ADcmXLX021 vibration sensing modules since the kit readily provides full spectrum experience of all features of the product.
Features & Benefits
- The EVAL-ADCM kit includes either an ADcmXL1021 or an ADcmXL3021 vibration sensor
- Easily connects to PC for full features evaluation
- Evaluation software for effortless configuration of the module, register setup, data display and data logging
- High-speed SPI to USB adaptor for high data rate Real Time Streaming (RTS)
Solutions Bulletins & Brochures (1)
Technical Articles (5)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.