Features and Benefits
- 400 MSPS internal clock speed
- Integrated 14-bit DAC
- Programmable phase/amplitude dithering
- 32-bit frequency tuning accuracy 14-bit phase tuning accuracy
- Phase noise better than –120 dBc/Hz
- Excellent dynamic performance
- >80 dB narrowband SFDR
- Serial input/output (I/O) control
- Ultrahigh speed analog comparator
- Automatic linear and nonlinear frequency sweeping
- 4 frequency/phase offset profiles
- 1.8 V power supply
- Software and hardware controlled power-down
- 48-lead TQFP Integrated 1024 word × 32-bit RAM
- PLL-based REFCLK multiplier
- Internal oscillator, can be driven by a single crystal
- Phase modulation capability
- Multichip synchronization
The AD9954 is a direct digital synthesizer (DDS) that uses advanced technology, coupled with an internal high speed, high performance DAC to form a complete, digitally programmable, high frequency synthesizer capable of generating a frequency-agile analog output sinusoidal waveform at up to 160 MHz. The AD9954 enables fast frequency hopping coupled with fine tuning of both frequency (0.01 Hz or better) and phase (0.022° granularity).
The AD9954 is programmed via a high speed serial I/O port. The device includes static RAM to support flexible frequency sweep capability in several modes, plus a user-defined linear sweep mode of operation. Also included is an on-chip high speed comparator for applications requiring a square wave output. An on-chip oscillator and PLL circuitry provide users with multiple approaches to generate the device’s system clock.
The AD9954 is specified to operate over the extended industrial temperature range.
- Agile LO frequency synthesis
- Programmable clock generators
- FM chirp source for radar and scanning systems
- Automotive radars
- Test and measurement equipment
- Acousto-optic device drivers
Markets & Technology
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
This page contains evaluation board documentation and ordering information for evaluating the AD9954.
Please be aware that this product requires access to a computer with a parallel printer cable port.
Application Notes (21)
Tools & Simulations
AD9954 IBIS Models
ADIsimDDS uses mathematical equations to model and illustrate the overall performance of the selected device. ADIsimDDS calculates the required FTW, given the reference clock frequency and desired output frequency. This tool also models an estimate of the overall spectral performance, and allows the user to explore the effects of external reconstruction filters.
Technical Articles (22)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.