Features and Benefits
- 8-bit dual transmit digital-to-analog converter (DAC)
- 125 MSPS update rate
- Excellent SFDR to Nyquist @ 5 MHz output: 66 dBc
- Excellent gain and offset matching: 0.1%
- Fully independent or single-resistor gain control
- Dual port or interleaved data
- On-chip 1.2 V reference
- See Data Sheet for Additional Information
The AD9709 is a dual-port, high speed, 2-channel, 8-bit CMOS DAC. It integrates two high quality 8-bit TxDAC+® cores, a voltage reference, and digital interface circuitry into a small 48-lead LQFP package. The AD9709 offers exceptional ac and dc performance while supporting update rates of up to 125 MSPS.
The AD9709 has been optimized for processing I and Q data in communications applications. The digital interface consists of two double-buffered latches as well as control logic. Separate write inputs allow data to be written to the two DAC ports independent of one another. Separate clocks control the update rate of the DACs
A mode control pin allows the AD9709 to interface to two separate data ports, or to a single interleaved high speed data port. In interleaving mode, the input data stream is demuxed into its original I and Q data and then latched. The I and Q data is then converted by the two DACs and updated at half the input data rate.
The GAINCTRL pin allows two modes for setting the full-scale current (IOUTFS) of the two DACs. IOUTFS for each DAC can be set independently using two external resistors, or IOUTFS for both DACs can be set by using a single external resistor. See the Gain Control Mode section for important date code information on this feature.
The DACs utilize a segmented current source architecture combined with a proprietary switching technique to reduce glitch energy and to maximize dynamic accuracy. Each DAC provides differential current output, thus supporting single-ended or differential applications. Both DACs can be simultaneously updated and provide a nominal full-scale current of 20 mA. The full-scale currents between each DAC are matched to within 0.1%.
The AD9709 is manufactured on an advanced low-cost CMOS process. It operates from a single supply of 3.3 V or 5 V and consumes 380 mW of power.
- The AD9709 is a member of a pin-compatible family of dual TxDACs providing 8-, 10-, 12-, and 14-bit resolution.
- Dual 8-Bit, 125 MSPS DACs. A pair of high performance DACs optimized for low distortion performance provide for flexible transmission of I and Q information.
- Matching. Gain matching is typically 0.1% of full scale, and offset error is better than 0.02%.
- Low Power. Complete CMOS dual DAC function operates at 380 mW from a 3.3 V or 5 V single supply. The DAC full-scale current can be reduced for lower power operation, and a sleep mode is provided for low power idle periods.
- On-Chip Voltage Reference. The AD9709 includes a 1.20 V temperature-compensated band gap voltage reference.
- Dual 8-Bit Inputs. The AD9709 features a flexible dual-port interface, allowing dual or interleaved input data.
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (2)
The SDP-H1 is a high speed controller board for the System Demonstration Platform (SDP). The SDP-H1 has a Xilinx® Spartan 6 and an ADSP-BF527 processor with connectivity to the PC through a USB 2.0 high speed port. Controller boards allow for the configuration and capture of data on daughter boards from the PC via USB.
The SDP-H1 has a FMC low pin count ( LPC) connector with full differential LVDS and singled ended LVCMOS support. It also has the 120 pin connector, found on the SDP-B which exposes the Blackfin processors peripherals. This connector provides a configurable Serial, Parallel I2C and SPI and GPIO communications lines to the attached daughter board. The PC side software application for controlling the attached daughter board is provided with each of the daughter product evaluation boards or Circuits from the Lab reference Circuits.
The System Demonstration Platform is a collection of controller boards, interposer boards, and daughter boards, used for easy, low cost evaluation of ADI components and reference circuits. For a general overview of the entire platform visit the System Demonstration Platform homepage www.analog.com/sdpSee the full list of compatible Product Evaluation Boards and Circuits from the Lab Reference Circuit Boards that require the SDP-B. All SDP-S compatible daughter boards can be used with the SDP-B.
Features & Benefits
- Xilinx® Spartan 6
- 1 x FMC Low Pin Count ( LPC) connector
- LVDS and single ended LVCMOS signaling
- JTAG header
- Blackfin processor ADSP-BF527
- 1 x small Footprint 120 pin connector
- Configurable Peripheral Interfaces SPI, SPORT, I2C, GPIO, Asynchronous Parallel, PPI, Timers
- USB 2.0 interface to the PC
Application Notes (5)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.