Features and Benefits
- Four 800 MHz LVDS outputs, arranged in 2 groups
Each group has 2 cascaded 1-to-32 dividers with coarse phase delay
Additive output jitter: 275 fs rms
Fine delay adjust (Δt) on each LVDS output
Each LVDS output can be reconfigured as two 250 MHz CMOS outputs
- Six 1.6 GHz LVPECL outputs, arranged in 3 groups
Each group shares a 1-to-32 divider with coarse phase delay
Additive output jitter: 225 fs rms
Channel-to-channel skew paired outputs of <10 ps
- See datasheet for additional features
The AD9516-51 provides a multi-output clock distribution function with subpicosecond jitter performance, along with an on-chip PLL that can be used with an external VCO/VCXO of up to 2.4 GHz.
The AD9516-5 emphasizes low jitter and phase noise to maximize data converter performance, and it can benefit other applications with demanding phase noise and jitter requirements.
The AD9516-5 features six LVPECL outputs (in three pairs) and four LVDS outputs (in two pairs). Each LVDS output can be reconfigured as two CMOS outputs. The LVPECL outputs operate to 1.6 GHz, the LVDS outputs operate to 800 MHz, and the CMOS outputs operate to 250 MHz.
Each pair of outputs has dividers that allow both the divide ratio and coarse delay (or phase) to be set. The range of division for the LVPECL outputs is 1 to 32. The LVDS/CMOS outputs allow a range of divisions up to a maximum of 1024.
The AD9516-5 is available in a 64-lead LFCSP and can be operated from a single 3.3 V supply. An external VCO, which requires an extended voltage range, can be accommodated by connecting the charge pump supply (VCP) to 5.5 V. A separate LVPECL power supply can be from 2.375 V to 3.6 V (nominal).
The AD9516-5 is specified for operation over the industrial range of −40°C to +85°C.
For applications requiring an integrated EEPROM, or needing additional outputs, the AD9520-5 and AD9522-5 are available.
- Low jitter, low phase noise clock distribution
- 10/40/100 Gb/sec networking line cards, including SONET, Synchronous Ethernet, OTU2/3/4
- Forward error correction (G.710)
- Clocking high speed ADCs, DACs, DDSs, DDCs, DUCs, MxFEs
- High performance wireless transceivers
- ATE and high performance instrumentation
1 AD9516 is used throughout the data sheet to refer to all members of the AD9516 family. However, when AD9516-5 is used, it refers to that specific member of the AD9516 family.
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The AD9516-x, AD9517-x, and AD9518-x are very low noise PLL clock synthesizers featuring an integrated VCO, clock dividers, and up to 14 outputs. The AD9516 features automatic holdover and a flexible reference input circuit allowing for very smooth reference clock switching. The AD9516 family also features the necessary provisions for an external VCXO.
The AD9516 evaluation board is a compact, easy-to-use platform for evaluating all features of the AD9516. The user guide covers all six versions of the AD9516 family, as well as the AD9517 and AD9518 families (hereafter referred to as AD951x). The AD9516, AD9517, and AD9518 differ only in package size, and the number of outputs. The evaluation software main window for the AD9517 and AD9518 reflects fewer outputs, but the operation is identical for all devices.
Although the Quick Start Guide to the AD9516 PLL section applies specifically to the AD9516-3, increasing the N (feed-back) divider and channel divider increases the VCO frequency to the allowable frequency range of other AD9516 versions.
For the AD9516-5, which lacks an internal VCO, certain portions of this document that apply to the internal VCO (such as VCO calibration) can be ignored.
- Clocking of analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog converters up to 2.9 GHz
- Networking and communications line cards
- Test and measurement equipment
- Wireless base stations, controllers
- Clock cleanup/jitter attenuation
- Clock distribution
Features & Benefits
- Simple power connection using 6 V wall adapter and on-board LDO voltage regulators
- LDOs are easily bypassed for power measurements
- 8 ac-coupled differential LVPECL SMA connectors
- 2 ac-coupled LVPECL differential headers
- 2 dc-coupled differential LVDS SMA connectors that are reconfigurable to four CMOS SMA connectors
- 2 dc-coupled LVDS differential headers that are reconfigurable to four CMOS connectors
- SMA connectors for
- 2 reference inputs
- Charge pump output
- Clock distribution input
- USB connection to PC
- Microsoft Windows-based evaluation software with simple graphical user interface
- On-board PLL loop filter
- Easy access to digital I/O and diagnostic signals via I/O header
- Status LEDs for diagnostic signals
Tools & Simulations
Product Selection Guide (1)
Rarely Asked Questions (12)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.