Features and Benefits
- 1.8 V analog supply operation
- 1.8 V to 3.3 V output supply
- SNR = 71.7 dBc (72.7 dBFS) to 70 MHz input
- SFDR = 85 dBc to 70 MHz input
- Low power: 395 mW @ 125 MSPS
- Differential input with 650 MHz bandwidth
- On-chip voltage reference and sample-and-hold amplifier
- DNL = ±0.4 LSB
- Flexible analog input: 1 V p-p to 2 V p-p range
- Offset binary, Gray code, or twos complement data format
- Data output clock and clock duty cycle stabilizer
- Serial port control
- Built-in selectable digital test pattern generation
- Programmable clock and data alignment
The AD9246S is a monolithic, single 1.8 V supply, 14-bit, 125 MSPS analog-to-digital converter (ADC), featuring a high performance sample-and-hold amplifier (SHA) and on-chip voltage reference. The product uses a multistage differential pipeline architecture with output error correction logic to provide 14-bit accuracy at 125 MSPS data rates and guarantees no missing codes over the full operating temperature range.
The wide bandwidth, truly differential SHA allows a variety of user-selectable input ranges and offsets, including single-ended applications. It is suitable for multiplexed systems that switch full-scale voltage levels in successive channels and for sampling single-channel inputs at frequencies well beyond the Nyquist rate. Combined with power and cost savings over previously available ADCs, the AD9246S is suitable for applications in communications, imaging, and medical ultrasound.
A differential clock input controls all internal conversion cycles. A duty cycle stabilizer (DCS) compensates for wide variations in the clock duty cycle while maintaining excellent overall ADC performance. The digital output data is presented in offset binary, Gray code, or twos complement formats. A data output clock (DCO) is provided to ensure proper latch timing with receiving logic.
The AD9246S is available in a 48-lead Quad flat pack and is specified over temperature range of −55°C to +125°C.
- The AD9246S operates from a single 1.8 V power supply and features a separate digital output driver supply to accommodate 1.8 V to 3.3 V logic families.
- The patented SHA input maintains excellent performance for input frequencies up to 225 MHz.
- The clock DCS maintains overall ADC performance over a wide range of clock pulse widths.
- A standard serial port interface supports various product features and functions, such as data formatting (offset binary, twos complement, or Gray coding), enabling the clock DCS, power-down, and voltage reference mode.
- The AD9246S is pin-compatible with the AD9233, allowing a simple migration from 12 bits to 14 bits
- Ultrasound equipment
- IF sampling in communications receivers IS-95, CDMA-One, IMT-2000
- Battery-powered instruments
- Hand-held scopemeters
- Low cost digital oscilloscopes
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (2)
The EVAL-AD9246S supports the AD9246S 125 MSPS Space Grade Analog-to-Digital Converter. The evaluation board when paired with the HSC-ADC-EVALCZ capture board provides a platform to evaluate the performance of the AD9246S. The analog input and clock signals can be brought onto the board through edge-mounted SMA connectors. The headers on the board can be used to select the use of either the on-board power solution (default) or the use of an external power supply (jumpers removed).
Features & Benefits
- Simple USB port interface (2.0)
- Supporting ADCs with serial port interfaces (SPI)
- On-board regulator circuit, no power supply required 6 V, 2 A switching power supply included
- Real-time FFT and time domain analysis
Analyze SNR, SINAD, SFDR, and harmonics
- Installed with AD9246S-EMX engineering unit (same form, fit and function over full temp range as flight units)
The HSC-ADC-EVALCZ high speed converter evaluation platform uses an FPGA based buffer memory board to capture blocks of digital data from the Analog Devices high speed analog-to-digital converter (ADC) evaluation boards. The board is connected to the PC through a USB port and is used with VisualAnalog® to quickly evaluate the performance of high speed ADCs. The evaluation kit is easy to set up. Additional equipment needed includes an Analog Devices high speed ADC evaluation board, a signal source, and a clock source. Once the kit is connected and powered, the evaluation is enabled instantly on the PC.
Features & Benefits
- 64kB FIFO Depth
- Works with single and multi-channel ADCs
- Use with VisualAnalog® software
- Based on Virtex-4 FPGA
- May require adaptor to interface with some ADC eval boards
- Allows programming of SPI control Up to 644 MSPS SDR / 800MSPS DDR Encode Rates on each channel
- DDR Encode Rates on each channel
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.