Features and Benefits
- Available in space-saving MSOP
- Gain set with 1 external resistor (gain range 1 to 1000)
- Wide power supply range: ±2.3 V to ±18 V
- Temperature range for specified performance: −40°C to +85°C
- Operational up to 125°C
- Excellent AC specifications
- 80 dB minimum CMRR to 10 kHz (G = 1)
- 825 kHz, –3 dB bandwidth (G = 1)
- 2 V/µs slew rate
- See data sheet for additional features
- Download AD8221-KGD Data Sheet
- Available As Known Good Die and fully guaranteed to data sheet specifications
- Download AD8221-EP Data Sheet
- Military temperature range (−55°C to +125°C)
- Controlled manufacturing baseline
- One assembly/test site
- One fabrication site
- Enhanced product change notification
- Qualification data available on request
- V62/16619 DSCC Drawing Number
Product DetailsThe AD8221 is a gain programmable, high performance instrumentation amplifier that delivers the industry’s highest CMRR over frequency in its class. The CMRR of instrumentation amplifiers on the market today falls off at 200 Hz. In contrast, the AD8221 maintains a minimum CMRR of 80 dB to 10 kHz for all grades at G = 1. High CMRR over frequency allows the AD8221 to reject wideband interference and line harmonics, greatly simplifying filter requirements. Possible applications include precision data acquisition, biomedical analysis, and aerospace instrumentation.
Low voltage offset, low offset drift, low gain drift, high gain accuracy, and high CMRR make this part an excellent choice in applications that demand the best dc performance possible, such as bridge signal conditioning.
Programmable gain affords the user design flexibility. A single resistor sets the gain from 1 to 1000. The AD8221 operates on both single and dual supplies and is well suited for applications where ±10 V input voltages are encountered.
The AD8221 is available in a low cost 8-lead SOIC and 8-lead MSOP, both of which offer the industry’s best performance. The MSOP requires half the board space of the SOIC, making it ideal for multichannel or space-constrained applications.
Performance is specified over the entire industrial temperature range of −40°C to +85°C for all grades. Furthermore, the AD8221 is operational from −40°C to +125°C*.
- Weigh scales
- Industrial process controls
- Bridge amplifiers
- Precision data acquisition systems
- Medical instrumentation
- Strain gages
- Transducer interfaces
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Analog Devices provides a line of evaluation boards designed to help users evaluate our instrumentation amplifiers in 8 pin packages. Access the user guide UG-261.
This user guide describes three generic evaluation boards that can be used to evaluate many of Analog Devices instrumentation amplifiers. For information on the performance of a specific instrumentation amplifier, see the data sheet for that instrumentation amplifier.
- 3 generic, easy-to-use evaluation boards
- Shipped with an assortment of Analog Devices in-amps
- Solder in the in-amp to be tested
- Test pins already populated
- Decoupling capacitors already populated
- EVAL-INAMP-62RZ board: Compatible with AD620, AD621, AD622, AD623, AD627, AD8223, AD8225, LT1167, LT1168 and LT6370 in SOIC or PDIP
- EVAL-INAMP-82RZ board: Compatible with AD8221, AD8226, AD8227, AD8228, AD8229, AD8421, AD8428, and AD8429 in SOIC package
- EVAL-INAMP-82RMZ board: Compatible with AD8220, AD8221, AD8226, AD8227, AD8228, AD8236, and AD8421 in MSOP package
Application Notes (5)
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
In-Amp Diamond Plot Tool
The Diamond Plot Tool is a web application that generates a configuration-specific Output Voltage Range vs. Input Common-Mode Voltage graph, also known as the Diamond Plot, for Analog Devices Instrumentation Amplifiers. Based on user inputs such as supply voltage, gain, and input signal range, the tool detects saturation and recommends in-amps for which the input signal is in-range and the configuration is valid. Avoid saturation, find the best in-amp for your design, and save time.
Technical Articles (6)
Rarely Asked Questions (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.